Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas 2010

A perfectly lovely day.  The rain is coming down in sheets with big, fat drops making lots of noise.  I love it.  When I was five years old, the last day of school before Christmas vacation (and yes, that is what it used to be called, my children), after Santa came to school and all the parties there, I remember walking home in a driving rain storm, splashing around in my boots.  The sky was dark, though it was the middle of the day.  Perfect.  That memory is so etched in my mind that a good gully-washer makes Christmas for me.  The lights and the cookies and the gifts are nice, but it is the rain that sets me in the mood.
My Christmas preparations were somewhat truncated by the week in the hospital.  I got all the cards in the mail in Tuesday, and did what little shopping I had to do on Wednesday.  Rebecca came over and helped decorate the tree on Tuesday afternoon.  We had tomato soup and mac and cheese (baked, not out of a box), things I know I can eat with no problem.  We had a lovely time and I have a beautiful tree.  Yesterday, I made four different kinds of cookies.  My favorite are sesame cherry cookies.  I can't have nuts or seeds yet, so I had to make a few without the sesame seeds for me.  I also made my Toll House cookies without walnuts for the first time in my life.  I always thought that the dough was what held the nuts together.  I don't have time for another week in the hospital, so I'm trying to be very careful about what and how I eat.  Not an easy thing for me.  I'm still eating jello and Popsicles, but I can have real food too.  I'm even going to try a little green salad tonight.  How's that for daring!
Christmas wishes to all my friends in the blogosphere.  God Bless you.
xxooxx

No comments: