Saturday, February 19, 2011

Looking to the Near Future

It was a week of appointments.  Monday was Dr. Chee.  My surgery was almost as good as it could have been--best would have been if it was just scar tissue causing the blockage.  There was some discussion as to whether I would need further chemo or not.  Chemo won--but what kind?  I could have carboplatin and taxol again and welcome a new series of orc wars on a three week cycle=and no hair.  Boo hiss.  Or I could have Doxil again and put up with skin problems on a four week cycle.  Or something different.  Different won--I'll be having carboplatin and doxil with a different set of side effects.  I start Feb 28 then once every four weeks for six cycles.  That's really the best that it could be.  It doesn't interfere with the important things coming up--my Eastern Star meetings, the Ceili (perfect timing for that, the Ceili is March 26), or my trip to Yosemite in May.  Bring it on.
Tuesday was Mark, my therapist.  A visit with Mark includes a visit with Charles, the security guard in the lobby.  Mark has been very good for me for years--Charles is an added bonus.  Charles greets me with "Good morning, beautiful," and I feel beautiful, even if I'm not.  Charles prays for me when I need prayers--that would be most of the time--and I pray for Charles when he needs it.  Charles volunteers for the Red Cross and is one of those who rush in where angels fear to tread.  Charles was also not there on Tuesday.  He'd hurt his ankle the day before.  i may have to make a special trip to Mark's building next Wednesday when I go downtown for my (FINALLY) haircut.
Wednesday was my follow-up with Dr. Allen, the surgeon.  That took five minutes.  Everything is healing as expected..see you in a month.
Thursday was just a social visit with my friend Andrea--but it's another bright spot in the week.
Friday, the visiting nurse came to check on my dressings--getting better but still draining.  My friend Luanne came and brought lunch then stayed to try to organize one of my kitchen counters.  "Where does this go?"  "If I knew it would be there."  It was really sweet of her--causes me a little anxiety because I really am comfortable with junk, but it looks much better.  Luanne is another blessing in my life courtesy of the phone company.  We worked together for years.  I wouldn't like to think of my life without her because she is such a dear person.  Friday afternoon was the last doctor appointment of the week--Dr. Maldonado for my heel.  She gave me two shots to help the inflammation and more DuoDerm to protect it.  I was once given a plaque that read "It isn't the mountains that get you down, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."  My left heel is the grain of sand in my shoe.  Not a big deal, but a pretty constant annoyance.  I'd just like it to get better so I can start walking again...if it ever stops raining.
The rain has been with us all week.  It has been glorious wonderful rain.  When I can see the drops without my glasses, you know that's a good rain.  It is good for my healing and my budget, because I'm not anxious to go out and shop in this weather.  I'm happy in a cute sweater, nice and warm inside, knitting.  I'm on a quick project right now.  My friend Roxanne is a first time grandmother to premature twins.  I got a whole book of preemie patterns.  It's like making doll clothes.  They are so cute--and so quick.
That's it for now.  Anticipating chemo but confident.
xxooxx

No comments: