Monday, February 11, 2013

Not as far behind as I thought


Glenn had to work the Tuesday that I left, so I packed the dead body the night before and he put it in the trunk.  I got the rest of my things ready to go Tuesday morning, then wondered how I was going to get them all downstairs.  I had my computer, CPAP, snacks, books, and yarn--I alawys plan on doing ever so much more than I end up doing, but I need plenty of toys.  Just as I was about to start schlepping stuff down, Leo got home.  He took it all down in a heartbeat.  Thank you, Leo.
The traffic was very light.  I got to Sonoma somewhat after 1.  I was greeted by the Bellman, who put all my stuff on his cart and took me to my room--181 which we had figured would be perfect on my last trip.  I didn't have to check in at the front desk or anything.  And the room was ready!  I always let them know I will be an early check-in, but it has never been that smooth.  I grabbed a swim suit and slippers and went to the spa.  I did not use the golf cart because the spa was right across the road from my room.  I checked in and was given my locker key.  Inside my locker was a bag containing Elli, the Lavender Elephant, and a sweet note from the Spa Fairies  There was another lady in the locker room who asked why I got a present.  I said, "I'm special."  I found out later that they went to considerable pains to get Elli.  She was the very first one, before they got their shipment.  They really do sweet things for me.
First thing on the program was a Watsu at 2:45 from Lani.  Lani is very nice, but she just isn't Soledad.  I had a little nap when I was supposed to be knitting, then I had a Sonoma Stone Massage from David.  David is one of my favorites.  He finally has a woman in his life.  I'm pleased about that.  I could barely walk after the massage--I had the wall holding me up on one side and David on the other.  He walked me back to the locker room--good thing, I was pretty wobbly.  I changed and went back to my room, then off to the Big 3 for dinner, and the shock of the vacation.  They have taken out the Market.  It was a delightful place to nose around and pick up sundries.  They turned it into a lounge, complete with wide screen TVs.  There is now no place to get sundries at the hotel.  There is the Spa Boutique, but it isn't the same.  I had dinner then back to the room, where I stayed up too late.
Wednesday morning started with Lemon cottage cheese pancakes for breakfast.  I don't like pancakes and I don't like cottage cheese, but I love these.  Generally, Lori takes care of me for breakfast.  I started the day at the spa with a Spicy Gingerbread scrub and massage.  It is wonderful,  You smell like a gingerbread cookie and want to eat yourself.  That was at 10:15.  The yummy smell only lasted so long--at 12:45 I had a Lavender Kur.  that is not to imply that you do not smell heavenly after the Lavender Kur--you just don't smell like a cookie.  I had a facial at 3:15
Thursday was a very full day.  10:15 Watsu with Glenn, 12:45 Rejuvenating Kur with Diane, 3:15 Tandem Massage with Diane and David--a totally sinful treatment, then at 4:30, Reiki with reflexology with Diane.  My Reiki with Diane is better than a CT scan.  She knows more about what is going on inside me than my doctor does.
Friday started with a 10:15 Watsu with Laura--Laura's Watsus are pretty fantastic.  12:45 Talasso Spirulina Kur--not the most glamorous treatment, but it sure makes your skin feel good.  At 4:30 I had a Thai Massage with Sharon.  I usually get them with Bill, but he's on disability--didn't stop him from hanging around the spa, but he just couldn't give treatments.
Saturday I had my pancakes again, and then packed up and checked out.  My day was spent in the salon, fingers, toes, and a wonderful hair and scalp treatment when Rudolfo was finished, because i couldn't move.  I stopped at the spa boutique to say good by.  This time I tool the golf cart back to valet parking.  They poured me into my car and filled the trunk.  Somehow I made it home without crashing into anyone, and somehow I make it home in the time I told Glenn it would take.  I was a puddle of muush.  I celebrated my homecoming with a crown coming out.  Yippee.
Church was kind of lonely on Sunday.  Most of the women were at Westminster Woods for the Women's retreat.  It has never appealed to me.  I went there once when I was in the 9th grade.
Monday the 28th was chemo.  This one is really quick.  The only side effect I've noticed is an itchy rash.  I have prednisone to treat that.  Tuesday, my friends Karen and Ted came and brought lunch.  Next month we will have known each other for 50 years.  I went to the dentist in the afternoon and got my crown re cemented.  Not bad.
Saturday was Barbara DeLand's memorial service.  It was harder on me than I expected.  The last time I saw Barbara, I was leaving after an appointment with Dr. Chee and Barbara was going for chemo.  She got pneumonia shortly after that and went quite quickly.  Barbara had bone cancer.  I think she was diagnosed sometime after I was.  The memorial service reminded me that I too have a terminal illness.  I don't feel like I'm going to die soon, but there's always that illness hanging over my head.  Glenn and I had planned on going to First Saturday dinner at Sue Bullis's new house.  I just didn't have the energy.
Sunday, my nose bled all through church.  The worst was when it dripped on my dress.  It was Super Bowl Sunday, and at least the blood was 49er's colors.  Ken and Roberta Henry wouldn't let me drive myself home.  In fact, they wouldn't let me stay home.  Roberta drove me home to pick up my knitting and Ken drove my car home.  After that, they took me to emergency to get my nose taken care of.  We called Glenn, who said he'd be right there.  I got my nose cauterized again and my blood sucked.  All my numbers were low--that would explain the exhaustion.  We sent the Henrys home in time for kick off.  In fact, Glenn got me home in time for kick off.  He went off to watch the game with friends.  I slept till sometime in the third quarter.  We lost, so it really wasn't worth waking up.
Monday, Suzanne called me from the Cancer Center with my appointment for a transfusion on Wednesday.  What a good idea.  It took some work getting there and back.  My car was in the shop with an oil leak.  It all worked out.  Glenn got me there and Ellen Kross from church picked me up and took me home.  I had lots of projects with me.  I slept most of the time.  I got two units of red cells.  I've been resting most of the time since then, but I think I do feel better.
That catches me up, I think.  I saw Dr. Chee today.  She set me up for procrit again and wants me to see a nephrologist--that will be March 1.  So there we are.  Wednesday is Elaine's birthday.  I sent her a letter.  I couldn't let it go by without some acknowledgement.  Hope she's doing well.
xxooxx

No comments: