Friday, July 17, 2009

As promised

Well here I am, with 20 pictures I've picked out to post, and I'm having problems moving them around to go with the text. We have an 8:30 hike in the morning and I just don't feel like fighting with a computer--so I'll TELL you what we've been doing, then maybe tomorrow or the next day or when I get home, I can post pictures. It's a shame, because I have glorious scenery to share with you.
My birthday, that would be yesterday, was a wonderful day. Monica and I went to Moraine Lake in the morning. We walked the length of the lake and back, Monica always going on way ahead of me. I may be old and I may be slow and I may be fat and I may be sick, but I make it eventually. And because I manage t make it eventually, I'm guessing the chemo hasn't effected my heart.
We had an early tea in the afternoon, then a visit by my friend who used to be the head concierge but is now on maternity leave and her six month old baby. We had a delightful visit. Logan, the baby, is a big, happy guy. Monica and I are both in love. Monica napped in the afternoon and I wasted time on the computer (yes, that thing I don't want to fight with tonight). Birthday dinner was a very elegant event in the Fairview Diningroom. We both had rack of lamb.
Today was our coach tour up to the Columbia Ice Fields. We stopped on the way to see Bow Lake, Crowfoot and Bow Glaciers, Peyto Lake and Glacier, then had lunch at the Ice Fields visitor center and took the snocoach trip onto Athabasca Glacier. I have great pictures. The glacier has receded considerably in the 31 years I've been visiting it. There's still lots of ice there--sorry I can't show it to you tonight.
Now we're resting up for the Lake Agnes hike tomorrow. I'm sure I will take wonderful pictures there too. I've done the hike twice before, in 06 and 07--hope I have the stamina to do it tomorrow,
xxooxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just left a voice mail for you to call me. You look fabulous! What a trip! I am glad that you are having such a wonderful time. Call me when you get home and let's catch up. Love to you and Happy Belated Birthday (and many more) Bonnie

Rosalynn R Reed said...

My dearest one,

I am out of breath, just chasing you down glaciers and lakes!

What fabulous pictures. Thanks for the ones of you and Monica, especially. I can see you are as proud as punch to be there. As you should be.

I love your observations on glacier size over the decades. There is something to be said for outlasting the obstacles in life, isn’t there?

Keep taking those magnificent pictures and making those wonderful observations, my dear. I am listening and watching with great interest and love.

LLL,
RRR