Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Band Practice

When you are a Celtic Fiddler (which I seem to have become), the highlight of your year is St. Patrick's Day.  Our band makes this a movable feast and celebrates on the Saturday closest to March 17.  We started practicing for this year's show in January and are now ramping up.  Tonight was band practice.  Athletes have their highs--for me it is music.  By the end of practice, my fingertips on my left hand are black and I'm physically tired, but my soul is flying.  We've got about 11 days left till the Ceili (see last March for pronumciation nad definition), so we were working this practice.  The ceili started out as a simple affair--a few friends got together and read through music--some singing--cookies and ice cream.  The next year, it was a major fund raiser for our church.  Year three, the official ceili was canceled when I had surgery Feb 26.  Fred came to my house on St Pat's day and we went through all our music.  I think I was in my jammies.  Last year, it was a celebration at church.  It took a lot out of me, but I felt victorious getting through it.  This year many hands are making light work and I just have to worry about fiddling.  The band is so good.  I go to church with amazing musicans.  Getting together with them, even for practice, is a joyous occassion.  The program is coming together.  I'm smiling.  I have to cut my fingernails, but I'm smiling.  What a blessing it is to work with these wonderful people.  Thank you, God, for putting them in my life.
xxooxx

No comments: