Saturday, March 27, 2010

A dreadful few days

I know I haven't posted in forever, but life has been basically boring, and no one wants to read boring.  At my last oncologist visit, we talked about getting off pain meds, since I'm in remission and in no particular pain.  My doctor gave me a schedule to follow, going from three a day, to two, to one, then one every other day, to nothing.  I could do that.  I'd been down to one a day for a few days.  Thursday, when I got up, I said to myself, "I don't need that," and went to nothing.  Bad idea.  I felt like crap, I couldn't concentrate, I was weepy for no reason, I was too cold then I was too hot.  The only good thing was that weight was literally falling off.  I now have fewer than 25 pounds to go to get to where I was pre-cancer.  I toughed it out on Thursday--even went to Curves, praying I got through the circuit without getting weepy.  Friday was really no better--I wasn't as restless, but I felt bad enough to cancel a planned trip to Filoli.
Cooler heads prevailed and I put in a call to my doctor.  My curve had been too steep.  Back on to one a day for a few days, then cut the dosage in half for another week, then try every other day at half the dosage and see how that works.  I sort of felt defeated, but it is amazing how much better I felt.  So I'm being patient and slowing down the process.  I'll get there, it will just take a little longer.
Meanwhile, before this gross lack on concentration, I read through all the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series--10 books to date.  I loved every one of them.  Mma Ramotswe became my new best friend.  I was sad when I finished the last book.  I've started Alenander McCall Smith's next series, but it isn't the same thing.
Well, it isn't a Curves day, so I'd best get out and go for a walk.  I still don't much care for exercise, but I do enjoy the results.  It is a lovely day and I'm not feeling dreadful.  Who could ask for anything more?
xxooxx

No comments: