Monday, September 5, 2011

September Tunes

I'm not sure how it happened, but it seems to be September already.  I should be at Camp Jones Gulch this weekend, fiddling my heart out.  Alas, the Gateswingers don't go there for Labor Day any more.  I remember when Lee first took me, just before we were married.  I didn't think I could spare the weekend, but it came to be a cherished time.  I don't think I ever would have started fiddling without the time spent there and the encouragement I got playing with Keeping Up With the Joneses.  I think I prefer playing with the Brawlers, because we don't play for dancers and we can play the tough tunes a little slower if we need to and we only play the tunes twice through as a rule.
I had a gig yesterday morning in Morgan Hill.  I had to leave the house around 8,which meant breakfast by 6:30.  In the morning.  I forgot there was a 6:30 in the morning.  The gig wasn't terribly taxing--ended up playing less than planned.  That's because just before we were going to start, as I tuned, my G string broke.  I go years without strings breaking, but my A broke just before Piper's wedding last year and there went the G.  Fortunately, I always carry spares, but there was the whole production of changing the string, then praying that it didn't go out of tune when I needed it.  The best part of the exercise, was that they paid me for playing!  That was a treat--and they fed me--and I got home in time to watch the Cal game.  Cal won.
A few months ago, I took on a huge knitting project.  I had several months to complete it, so I wasn't worried.  I now have four and a half weeks to finish and I'm about half done.  So much for knitting socks for fun--it's the project till I get it finished.
The little girls from across the street stopped by to visit this evening.  They aren't little girls any more.  The older one graduated from college last May and the younger one is starting college in a week or so.  The older one was a baby when her parents bought the house across the street.  I've watched them grow up to be lovely young women.  They have always been really sweet girls.  I didn't let them leave empty handed.  One got a hat when she asked if I would make her one (no, I didn't sit down and whip it up, I had it on hand) and the other got the most recent pair of socks.  I'll get back to socks and hats when the project is over.
I'm doing well.  Chemo was six weeks ago.  I'm still dealing with side effects, but I'm not as tired as I was, and that's a blessing.   My skin is still very dry and more hair falls out than I'd like.  I know that is cyclical and will pass.  It's like the stamina thing.  I'm feeling good for the most part--once again working my way off pain meds.  I won't push it, but if I can get off them, I will--at least until I start to hurt again.  I'm not rushing either.  I think I'll just enjoy feeling good for a while.
That's it for now.  Besides the knitting, I have to practice real music.  I'm playing at church next week.  Guess I'd better check my stash of strings while I'm at it.
xxooxx

1 comment:

~KQ~ said...

great post, Anne! I love "...6:30. In the morning." You know I am right there with you! I didn't know there was one of those, either. :)
Even more, I loved reading, "I know that is cyclical and will pass." YES!

love you, too.