Friday, January 13, 2012

Expensive Day

Sibling warning---Gretchen don't read this if you are going to yell at me!
I got up at six this morning to have my breakfast.  Went back to sleep for two hours, took a quick shower, then headed off to Mills Hospital for my CT scan.  I must have been really zoning out, because I missed the turn off and had to go to the next one and drive around Robinson Crusoe's barn to get to the hospital.  They greeted me warmly with my quart of contrast to drink.  Yum.  I tried to be neighborly and offer some to the other people in the waiting room, but that didn't work.  They found a vein on the first try for the IV contrast.  Since I was in San Mateo, I decided that if there was a parking place around 9 Rubies, then God wanted me to go there.  What do you know?  A parking place right in front!  I have a monster in my house that lives on #6 needles.  I thought it would be safe to buy needles.  They didn't have any #6 straight needles at all--so i had to get baby yarn and buttons to replenish the stash.
Came home, watched the last episode of One Life to Live--really done well and left me with a good, if sad, feeling.  It was really annoying to watch commercials for the replacement show.  I'm not going to watch it.  Since I still needed #6 needles, I went to Cottage Yarns and got two sets of each length.  And since I was there, I got more hat yarn--I put hats in the bin at the Cancer Center when I go in for chemo and they are gone before I'm done with my infusion.  Also got baby yarn and buttons for the stash, you know.  Stopped at the bank and deposited money then headed home.  I closed the garage door and sent upstairs.  When I got to the landing I heard an unpleasant noise.  Went back downstairs.  The garage door was closed, but I had a bad feeling.  Glenn got home a bit later and couldn't get the door to open more than an inch or two.  Oops.  Let my fingers do the walking and called a garage door repair company, who would have someone out between five and seven.  Finally took my nap.
Mr. Garage Door Repairman arrived just before seven,  The diagnosis was a broken spring.  Ended up replacing the spring and the rollers, which were just about dead.  It cost a pretty penny.  I have a five year warranty on it--hope I outlast it.
While waiting for Mr. GDR, before my nap, I got a call from my oncologist--you can start reading now, Gretchen.  The current chemo isn't working.  The troublesome lymph nodes are a little larger.  So I start a new chemo on Tuesday.  It has the same schedule, days one and eight, chemo, day 15 doctor follow-up, out of a 21 day cycle.  Once again, the upshot is that I'll be there once a week for the next several months.  Of course I have to be there for the weekly procrit shot.  So, I have a new set of side effects to learn.
So that's it.  Not really happy, but resigned.  Looking forward to chemo 5.1A.
xxooxx

No comments: