Monday, April 30, 2012

First Outing

I had a ride arranged for church (thank you, Deacon Donna), so I got up, had breakfast, figured out how to get into clothes--pantyhose didn't happen, but I had my compression hose on.  The God I believe in didn't care if I had on pantyhose or not.  I have to select clothes carefully, since I can't raise my left arm above my shoulder.  I'm used to throwing my dresses over my head and pulling them down--take them off the same way.  Not going to happen for the next few weeks.
Just noticed this didn't get finished (started on Sunday, it's now 11:30 Monday night).  I'll try to remember what I wrote last night.  Ally helped me get dressed for church.  I got a little nervous--did the incision look red?  Was it hot?  I've been through wound infections before and I don't want to do that again.  Donna picked me up on time.  She said I was shaking--wondered if I wanted to go to the hospital.  No, I did not.  We got to church and Donna did her Head Usher duties.  I took deep breaths, practicing what Laura taught me.  I did have one of the church nurses check my pulse, which she declared fine.  She got me seated and asked Roxane to sit next to me and keep an eye on me.  Bless her, Rox took care of me like a mother hen.  In retrospect, I think it was just anxiety over the first outing.  I made it through most of the service.  Our custom is to wait and listen to the postlude--HAD to use the restroom, so that's when we left early.  I was pretty calm by the end of the service.  Had outing number two today, to the dentist to pick up my new bite splint--not a problem.  Of course, that meant that I had to get dressed.  I don't have anything scheduled till Thursday--think I'll stay in my jammies till then.
I'm still a little anxious, but from everything I've read and heard, that is completely normal.  The incision still hurts, but the rest of me feels pretty good.  I'm breathing easier than I have in a long time.  One day at a time, as they say, one day at a time--or even one minute at a time.
There, I think I'm caught up--probably not as good as what I wrote last night, but there you are.
xxooxx

No comments: