Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Hedonist returns

First, I took no pictures. Took my camera, never took it out of the suitcase. I was too busy being pampered. As was my plan, I drove around Great Highway and avoided the 19th Avenue and park traffic, so it was a pretty easy trip up. I think I left around 2. Got to Sonoma before my room was ready, so off I went to the Big 3 for late lunch early dinner. I didn't have a treatment till 5, so no worries.
I started out with my first Watsu, and no, I'm not going to describe the treatments. If you want all that, check out the July posting complete with pictures. For even more detail, I refer you to the Fairmont's website, specifically the Sonoma Mission Inn, Spa, online brochure. Watsu was a great way to start the week of pampering. Even with my no hassle trip up, driving for an hour and a half can make you tense. Gone, all gone. Washed away in the Watsu pool. I had an hour to rest and read then had a Chadonnay Olive oil Sugar Scrub. I left feeling smooth and smelling delicious.
Monday morning I started with one of the least glamorous treatments, the Hungarian Moor Mud Kur. It is really good for your skin but really dirty. After lunch, I had a Grapeseed Body Polish, followed by a Rejuvenating Kur. This includes a hair and scalp treatment--I almost have enough hair to make it worthwhile.
Tuesday was a Body Coffee Scrub, the most abrasive scrub they offer and one of the best smelling, followed by a Body Coffee Wrap to complete the package. I had a couple of hours for this wonderful stuff to seep into my pores and have lunch then I had my second Watsu. It was a beautiful warm afternoon, and the play of light and shadow made this one special. That is the thing about Watsu--you could have a hundred and they are all different and special. After the Watsu, since I was already wet, I did the Bathing Ritual, finally, rested and read, then had a Back Facial--a really special way of taking care of a part of your body that you have trouble reaching on your own.
Wednesday, the days are passing quickly. I started with a Thermal Mineral Scrub complete with Vichy Shower that they weren't supposed to use but did because it's really better that way. A break to read and lounge on the Logia and a Honey Steam Wrap. I felt edible. Later in the afternoon, a Sonoma Stone Massage and a Signature Facial.
Thursday started with a Spirulina Body Wrap--the least glamorous body treatment and the best. Lunch was followed by Reflexology with Reike with Diane, who did the same for me in July. She noticed real changes in my body and energy flow--like I had energy which was missing in July. A little reading time and I ended the day with a Tandem Massage. I think it is illegal in 10 states. It is unbelievably decadent. If it weren't something you would happily do again it should be followed by a quick trip to the confessional. Nothing should feel that good.
How did it get to be Friday? Up very bright and early because I had an 8 AM Fitness Training Session with Karen, as close as I come to a personal trainer. We took some walks around the property for cardio and some weight training and stretching. It was more about what I can do now and how I can work back to something more strenuous. Since my blood count is still low, I still tire easily. 10 o'clock brought my last Watsu. This one was the most athletic of the Watsus, with great stretching. Felt terrific after it. Some time on the Bathing Ritual, lunch, and lounging were followed by a Revitalizing Kur, my last good scrub. My skin is SO smooth now. Last thing of the day was a Sonoma Lavender Facial. I stayed in the lounge for about an hour and a half to finish my book (the third I finished this week--Sue Grafton's latest alphabet mystery, T is for Trespass, and the first two of Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon books), then changed and went to dinner, hoping to be out before the rain started. I wasn't. And I lost my key between dinner and my room. There was a bellman there who let me in and the front desk made me new keys and sent them over with another bellman. I felt better, even though I didn't really need them because I wasn't going to leave my room and come back.
Saturday morning I got up early to get my stuff together and ready to go. I had a bellman load it in the car before breakfast. Breakfast took forever. They were very busy. Even though I got there in plenty of time, I didn't get my cottage cheese and lemon pancakes (sounds gross but tastes wonderful) until about 9:10 with a 9:30 manicure staring me in the face. I wolfed down about half, I'm sure burning everything in my innards it touched, then ran (figure of speech--I don't actually RUN anyplace) to the Spa just barely in time. Fingers done, I settled down with my 4th book, another Anna Pigeon, to let my nails dry and wait for my Sonoma Stone Pedicure, my last little bit of decadence. Fingers and toes are now painted with "It's a Doosy, L'il Suzie," a good autumnal color. I sat by the pool and read for about an hour before I put my shoes and socks--well, technically socks and shoes--back on, checked out, and headed for home. I listened to the Cal game on the way home--it came in pretty scratchy but it came in--GO BEARS! I got home in time to attend the Bethany First Saturday dinner, which I'd sort of forgotten about until I read the Bethany Banner as I was going through a week's worth of mail.
I am now prepared for my body to go into shock as it faces a future with no massages, no scrubs, no wraps. no glorious smelling lotions being rubbed into it. The only good thing about leaving Sonoma is knowing that I can go back.
xxooxx

No comments: