Sunday, November 23, 2008

A marathon, but a good day

The week was, basically, boring. I did those things I ought to have done and left undone those things I ought not to have done, except maybe cleaning--didn't do that. Slept lots at night and took lots of long naps in preparation for Saturday.
Up bright and early, for me now, around seven. Had my breakfast then set off for church to work. It was our annual Thanksgiving dinner and I'm chief cook. Waiting for me were eight bags of cranberries, four large turkeys, and stuffing makings. Being the queen of spreadsheets, I'd logged in the weight of each bird and calculated when each one needed to go into the oven to come out at 4. I had lots of help. We made cranberry sauce first, to fill the church with enticing smells. That was followed by stuffing making, bird filling, and bird prep. My mother taught me how to cook turkey, and she made the best turkey in the world. Cook it hot and fast, in lots of foil. Once the birds were in the ovens, we went home to let the ovens work their magic.
I went home and watched Big Game (Cal-Stanford for those of you from other parts of the country). It was a thoroughly satisfying experience. My Bears were victorious in a big way. After that, it was back to church, get the birds out, start syphoning off juice for gravy, unstuff the birds, make the gravy, while a wonderful team of helpers got everything else ready to go. We had a full house and great food.
Dinner was followed by the church talent show. Our Ceili band started off to wake everyone up, then ended the program with Ashokan Farewell to send everyone on their way. In between was an amazing array of talent. While everyone else was cleaning up and putting the church back together for today's service, I snuck home and went to bed. I was wiped. I overslept this morning and just barely made it to church. I had a meeting after church, did a little marketing, came home and napped, then back to church at five to audition an applicant for music director. Now I'm home again, in my jammies and robe, thinking I should have something for dinner. Tomorrow is my CT scan and chest x-ray. I'll need to finish breakfast by 7 in the morning since I can't eat for three hours before the scan. I can do that. With the help of several alarm clocks, I can do that.
So--I'm still pretty tired, but this is a good kind of tired.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Bertamom said...

The dinner was, again, amazing. And for you to then fiddle after all that cooking?? You are super woman! And it's great working as one of your sous chefs - your command of the kitchen staff is unmatched!

~KQ~ said...

you were (are) amazing, Annie. Congrats on a wonderful dinner, and on surviving your marathon!