Thursday, November 27, 2008

Some things are suckier than others

Not the trip I'm on right now.  I'm posting from my sister's house in Santa Barbara.  It's a perfect place for me right now.
So, what led up to the title?  Monday I had my CT scan to be able of officially say "I'm in remission."  I had to get up at six in the morning to have my breakfast because I couldn't eat for three hours before the appointment.  First I had two chest x-rays.   No problem.  Next, I was shown to the ladies dressing room to divest myself of clothes and put on lovely hospital gowns--two, one in front and one in the back.  The tech brought me two warm blankets.  Another tech brought me the nectar of the gods--not.  One cup every 15 minutes or so.  I settled down with my book and my questionable beverage.  When I'd just about drunk it all, they took me into the CT room.  The first two scans were a piece of cake.  For the last one, they needed "contrast,"  iodine or whatever to show up in the scan.  This required starting an IV.  The tech couldn't find a vein, so they called in a nurse from the ER, who managed to get it started.  Keep your arm as straight as possible and back into the CT machine.  They said "Here comes the contrast" and there was nothing--then all of a sudden fire running through my veins.  And we were done.  I was given instructions to come back on Wednesday for a blood test and don't take Metformin till after you get the results and your creatinin is at normal levels.  Well, Wednesday I would be in Santa Barbara--so it will have to wait till Saturday morning.
When I got home, I called my primary care's office because I'd been in unrelenting pain in my lower back for weeks.  Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.  I got an appointment for that afternoon.  We talked about things in general and the pain in specific.   My left hip joint is fine.  It wasn't muscular.  It wasn't anything that Tylenol would make better.  He needed the results of the CT, which hadn't been read yet.    So, take pain meds as necessary.
Tuesday, I drove to Santa Barbara.  There were a few sprinkles until I had lunch in Paso Robles.  After that, the skys opened up.  The rain came down in buckets and overhead was black.  I hit some traffic in San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria.  When I got close to Goleta and signs were starting to look familiar, the freeway became a parking lot.  Too bad I didn't know back roads.
I got to sister's before six, and happy to get here.
Wednesday, Gretchen, that would be my sister, took me for a drive.  We went as far south as Carpenteria.  We found a yarn shop--well, craft shop, where I got some back up yarn in case I finished the project I'd brought with me.  While Gretchen was getting gas (for 1.89/gal), I checked my voice mails.  There was one, from my doctor that has just come in.  "I got the results of your CT scan.  I'd like to talk to you about it" and left his cell phone number.  I thought "Oh, shit."  They only want to talk to you if it's bad news.  We drove home through the hills of Carpenteria and Montecito, checking out the recent fire damage.  They wouldn't let us into the actual fire area because they were worried about mudslides--and looters.  We took the scenic route, stopped off and picked up the turkey and came home.  By now, I couldn't stand it any longer and called my doctor.  Seems the pain is most likely caused by a new tumor.  I was not happy.  I told him I'd pick up a prescription for stronger pain meds on Monday when I'm back in town.  I moved the appointment with my medical oncologist form the 19th to Tuesday the 2nd.  I see my surgeon, who actually ordered the CT scan, on Thursday, and I guess we'll know more after that.  Gretchen and I both cried and she gave me lots of hugs.  I have permission to cry and swear all I want, not that it does a great deal of good.  When my niece and her friend got down from the Bay Area, she agreed that it sucks big weenies.
We woke up to beautiful blue sky this morning, after two days of monsoon.  Gretchen and Victoria went off to run in the annual Santa Barbara Turkey Trot while Jim and Jenn went for a 30 mile bike ride.  I went back to bed to read.  After a while, I got up and showered and the world looked brighter yet.  While Gretchen was getting the turkey ready for the oven, I finally called Glenn to let him know the news, since I probably won't see him till Saturday when he gets off work.  Glenn was pretty philosophical.  We got through it before, we'll get through it again.  Once again, I'll do what I'm told.  I may not like it, but we'll get through it.
I won't know anything more till next week when I make the round of doctors.  Till then, there's not much I can do but ask for your prayers again.
xxooxx

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

Your niece and her friend are SO right. Glenn is right too - you got thru it before, you'll do it again. And that doesn't mean you don't HATE it. I guess we have to put off using the "R" word for a while. Rats. Anne, you're always in my prayers - my whole families, in fact. Our lives would be much less blessed without Mrs. Carlson . . .