Wednesday, November 4, 2009

They Also Love Who Sit and Wait

I started the day off with, gosh, radiation--13 down 12 to go--then I was off to San Ramon Regional Medical Center, where I was NOT the patient. I got there about 11:45 and waited for Elaine and Mark to get there. They were due in around noon. Elaine's surgery was scheduled for 1:30. They were only a little bit late, which, for Elaine, is early (if you know her, you understand). She was one nervous little girl. We kept things light and waited with her during pre-op. I let her know that it was OK to be nervous and it was OK to cry if she needed to. Mark had to leave before they came to get her, he being on kid pick-up duty. I alternately rubbed her feet, held her hand, and knit, keeping the conversation light. They eventually gave her something for the anxiety, which helped--a little. Finally, it was time to take her to the OR. I got to go with her and stay with her while she was in a holding pattern--holding her hand, patting her face, stroking her brow. The surgeon came to talk with us--37years old, really handsome, exuding an air of confidence. I knew my little girl would be in good hands. They finally came to take her to the actual OR. I went back to the pre-op room, picked up our stuff, and dumped it in the trunk, then went in search of food. It was about 2. I had soup, crackers, OJ, and cookies--enough to keep me going. Back to the car to get my knitting stuff, then into the surgery waiting room to wait. And wait. Mark got back somewhat after three, all the children being fetched and dumped at the house with instructions to clean up and do homework. It was after five when the surgeon came to talk to us. All went well. He said it was the second largest bulging disk he has ever seen. It came out in one piece and the actual surgery was a slam dunk. He said Elaine was able to move everything and that there should be no complications. She should be out of pain once she recovers from the surgery. We got a call from the Post-OP unit. Elaine wanted to see us, so we went trotting down the hall. There were no other patients there, so we could stay with her. Poor little thing--she really did look like she had been ridden hard and put away muddy. They got her set up with a PCA, set to dispense on six minute intervals. The PCA is your new best friend after surgery. Post-Op was about an hour. At 6:05, we were once again, trotting through the halls to the ICU, where we got to wait while they got her in her room. In short order, her nurse came to get us and take us back to her room. She was already starting to perk up a bit; she was able to sip a little Sprite. I was going to wait till she went to sleep, but it had been a very long day for me and I still had an hour drive home, so I left a little before 7. I was famished, so I came home by way of Burger King. I called the hospital and spoke with her nurse around 8:30. She was sitting up and taking broth. I told her nurse to let her know that I'd made it home safely. I also called Mark, as ordered (by Elaine) to let him know that I'd made it home without incident.


So now I'm blogging. It has been a very long day, but I would not have been anywhere else. Earlier in the week when we talked, Elaine didn't think I needed to be there during the surgery. I needed to be there. I think she was glad her mommie was there. I would have been a wreck worrying at home.

My impressions of the hospital--a small but state of the art facility. Everyone was unfailingly kind. I think in a bigger hospital, she would have just been put in a regular room. This is small enough that she gets the extra care of the ICU. At no time did anyone seem too busy to answer a question or to make us all feel comfortable. It is a long way away for me--come to think of it, it is a bit of a drive from Elaine's house--but I am so glad that they are taking care of Elaine. She will be kept as comfortable as possible in a cervical collar with a fresh wound in her neck. The nurse said she would probably be going home tomorrow. There was some talk about her coming her to recuperate, but I think she will want to go to her own home. Except for the ride home, which is unavoidable, she isn't allowed to even travel in a car for two weeks. I know she couldn't be away from her babies for that long--even if they do frustrate her. They are all old enough now to shoulder the responsibility of taking care of her.

I'm tired. I'll check the Facebook crops and then contemplate bed. I think I'll go to radiation in the morning.

xxooxx

1 comment:

RRROZ said...

I am so pleased things went so well for Elaine--and for you, ma belle maman. LLL, RRR