Sunday, May 1, 2011

Running away, Easter, Chemo 3.3, and a Royal Wedding

So it has been a while.  Not a terribly exciting while, but a while.
Catching up quickly--
April 14 was our Worthy Grand Matron's Official Visit.  Because most of the planning was done when I was really sick, my Associate Matron took over (God Bless You, Marti).  All I had to do was show up, look cute, and be witty.  Check, check, and check.
The 19th was a big treat.  My friend Karen (of more years than I will admit to--I was younger than three of my grandchildren when I met her) works at the Opera House and got me two tickets for the Ballet.  I took Monica.  It took somewhat longer than I expected for us to get into town, park, and be seated at Max's, so we gulped down salads and were off to the Opera House.  The tickets were amazing.  Row J, dead center. Parts one and two were all right.  Part three was lovely to look at, lovely to listen to, just lovely all the was around, so we left truly feeling that everything is beautiful at the ballet.
Wednesday morning, I threw stuff in a suitcase and drove to Dory's for our little run away from home time.  I'd been planning it, sort of, for quite some time, figuring on chemo schedules, weather, and various obligations.  We were off to Reno for two days.  Dory doesn't like to drive in snow, so I drove.  There was no snow or ice on the road.  We made good time, stopping for a snack in Auburn.  There was lots of snow on the mountains.  We arrived, safe and sound, at the Silver Legacy around 3.  We were really traveling light--for us--because we didn't need a bellman.  We got up to our room, arranged our nest, then set off to invest.  While we were arranging, there was some caterwauling in the hallway--ill mannered children, we thought--but as we were heading to the elevators, we saw three security officers and a few guests with the room door open.  We did not stop to check out the action but were very curious.
We shrewdly invested--winning enough to be entertained.  Dory finds a machine she likes and stays there.  I play a little here, a little there.  I mostly want to see the crazy things the machines do.  I miss the coins.  I miss your hands turning black.  I don't miss waiting for someone to pay you off when you really need to go to the bathroom.  We left Friday morning--had breakfast at Boomtown and played till around noon.  I had a six o'clock meeting to get home to.  Lunch at Fenton's in Vacaville and home in time for my very successful meeting.  I must have been really tired, because I slept till after noon.
Easter was quiet.  I fixed roast leg of garlic--er--lamb, salad, veggies, and mashed potatoes.  Elaine and the girls have been following Dr. Phil's 17 day diet and doing very well, so I didn't want to sabotage their efforts.
Elaine spent the night here and went with me to chemo on Monday.  I could go by myself, but it is really nice to have someone with me.  Neither of us felt like lunch, but Elaine did go on a water run about halfway through--"Mom, weren't you supposed to bring a bottle of water?"  I took Elaine to the BART after my soap.  I felt pretty awful that night and Tuesday morning, but no orc attack like the first round.
I napped as much as I could on Thursday and watched the Royal Wedding from one Friday morning till about 4:30.  I haven't missed a Royal Wedding since Princess Margaret's.
Now I'm settling in.  There are exciting things coming up this month--the church will vote on the terms of call for a new pastor, Dory and I will go to Yosemite for our spring visit.  My hair is coming out--not is chunks like it did the first time, but enough that I'm noticing it.  I leave a trail wherever I go.  I suppose I could just have a buzz cut and be done with it, but I can't bring myself to do that.
Sad note--my friend Betty died today.  Betty had the same kind of cancer I have--hers was diagnosed about 8 months before mine.  I don't think I'm ready to go in another 8 months.  Betty was sicker than I've been.  She was a wonderful resource when I first got sick.  I'll miss comparing notes with her.  My heart goes out to her children.  Bless you, Betty.  Now you don't hurt.
xxooxx

No comments: