Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas, Chemo 4.3A, Company, and Blood

There's something really nice about a Christmas that doesn't focus on shopping.  It's peaceful.  I did actually go to the mall on Christmas Eve--zipped right into a close but not handicapped parking place.  Went into Nordstrom's and Williams-Sonoma, got what I wanted, and came home.  The only line I faced was at Willie-Sonora (at least that's what Lee and I called it).  We had a nice service on Christmas Eve--I still had traces of the Christmas Cold, so carols were difficult.  Christmas morning we had lessons and carols.  I had a reading from Isaiah and two from Luke, which I rebelliously read from the King James Version.
Elaine, Mark, and the kids came over around noon.  We had a nice visit.  We made some Christmas Cookies to make the season official, and exchanged gifts.  The girls had to leave late afternoon to have Christmas dinner with the Other Grandparents and uncle's family.  I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet that I've never had Christmas dinner with the girls.  I don't think that's terribly fair, but as we all know, life isn't fair.
I fixed the Christmas roast, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, and Waldorf salad.  The five of us were joined by Ally and Danny, a brother and sister form church who lost their mother this year.  I snatched resting times when I could during the afternoon.  While the vegetables were cooking, Elaine massaged my feet--it was heavenly.
So all in all, it was a wonderful Christmas.  Not like the Christmas where the gifts almost forced us out of the living room, but a good time with family and friends.
Monday afternoon, my friend and Eastern Star Sister Jorie came over and we got the chapter newsletter ready to mail.  Jorie is a hard worker and a very efficient one.  There were lots of pieces that had to be co-ordinated.  It sure helped having a buddy.  We worked for over four hours solid, stuffing, chatting, drinking spiced cider.
Tuesday morning was back to chemo.  They ran some tests to see if I would be compatible with Procrit and made an appointment for me to have a transfusion--yeah.  My red count was 8.4.  Chemo was quick.  My sister, Gretchen, got to the house shortly after I got home.  We went to see War Horse in the afternoon.  Neither of us go to many movies, but the ones we see together are usually really good.  For a special treat, I had a visit from the daughters of an old friend.  I've known their Mother for over 40 years.  I watched them grow up.  Both of them are amazing women.  I still remember Kathleen's 21st birthday--I gave her a bottle of Champagne.  I think that was before I got married.
We watched the Kennedy Center Honors concert--a must for me each year.
Tuesday night the chemo kicked in.  It wasn't as bad as the orc wars, but I was uncomfortable  I woke up about 2 in the morning and for the first time experienced the side effect I'd dreaded from the beginning--serious nausea.  I think I offered up everything I'd eaten that day.
Wednesday, Gretchen went for a run--I felt like crap and rested.  The must for Wednesday was watching Cal play in the Holiday Bowl against Texas.  It was really dreadful.  Much as I love my Bears, neither team was good enough to be playing in a Bowl game.
Gretchen went home Thursday.  Guess what I did--you got it, I rested.  The blood transfusion came Friday morning.  I had to be there at 9 and left just after two.  I took lots of knitting with me and slept through most of the procedure.  You usually feel the benefits of a transfusion right away, and I do have a little more pep.  Still, after I got home, I slept for a few more hours.  Glenn and I went to a dessert party in the evening given by a couple from church.  It was a lovely gathering.  I propped myself up in a couch corner and let the party happen around me.
This has been a particularly rough chemo--and I get it again on Wednesday.  Yippee!
So that catches me up.  We have another church gathering we can attend this evening, but I'm thinking that resting is going to win out.  Happy New Year wherever you are.  I don't need to stay up til midnight.  The new year will come whether I'm there to see it in or not.
xxooxx

No comments: