Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Escape...and adventure

It is amazing how your prospective changes with the vicissitudes of life. I had an appointment downtown (SF) today, so I drove myself to the BART station. My timing was perfect. The train got to the station just after I did. I settled myself in comfortably and started to knit for the journey downtown. A youngish man sat in the seat in front of me with a Ipod blasting away. I asked him to turn it down and he got up and moved--just not far enough away. I suppose I can take a small amount of joy knowing that he will be deaf before I will. When I rule the world, all people who use Ipods and the like that I can hear will be sent straight to the gulags.
Anyway--I got to San Francisco in good time, deposited a check at the ATM--I love the ones that don't need an envelope, that just read your deposits. I had my appointment, then I walked (for the exercise, of course) down to the San Francisco Centre. I went to Bloomingdales and got something I didn't need for the sheer joy of shopping. I went on to Nordstrom, just to see if there was anything I really needed, but by then I was getting tired. So down to the concourse level I went, got a Jamba Juice with protein, sat and drank it so that I wouldn't break the BART rules by taking food or beverage on the train, paid a courtesy visit to Mrs. Fields, then descended into the bowels of the earth. Once again, my timing was excellent. The train pulled up just as I got to the platform. I settled in--now here comes the adventure part. We were moving along, fine as could be till we left 24th and Mission. We pulled out from the station and stopped. The driver announced that a tree was on the tracks just past Balboa Station. So we sat for a while. Eventually, he took the train back to 24th where we all got off and waited for them to send a train on the wrong tracks to take us on our way. I suppose it was only 15 or 20 minutes, but by then I was tired and had another appointment at 3. They must have worked pretty hard, because I couldn't see anything on the track. There were several CalTrans vehicles on the freeway adjacent to the BART tracks, but nothing on the tracks. I came home long enough to check the mail, and then went off to see my primary care physician, who pronounced me doing well.
I'm counting down the days to the next chemo session--not because I'm really looking forward to it, but because I want it over with. I'd like all of them over with when you get right down to it. Three weeks is too short for a vacation, but a really long time between treatments.
It was good to get out by myself today. The last time I bought gas was March 22, and with today's travels, I've put on almost 50 miles since then. It's pretty pathetic when the height of my adventure is getting off the BART midtrip and waiting to be rescued. Now I think I will cook something I don't really want to eat.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Bertamom said...

Full day, Anne! Nice to get in a little shopping. I sometimes take BART when I go visit my sister in Albany - I love it because can knit on BART! Yay! Can't really knit while driving - bad idea. Glad to hear your doc says you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne, Jerry Journay says hi. Glad to hear that your getting around a bit. Barry and I are back from vacation and would love to see you. All our prayers. Steve