Friday, August 28, 2009

BFF's

When I hear youngsters refer to their BFF's, I wonder if they really know what that means. I've got BFF's--and we've all been friends for over 50 years. We haven't been close for all that time, but we've known each other was there and that if we needed one another, we were there. For as much more time as God gives me, I will not forget my friend Kris walking into my hospital room last year. She was the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen. And my friend Roz--here we are in our 60's and either one of us can call the other and start a conversation in the middle and know what we're talking about. Those are Best Friends Forever. I've got newer BFF's, all of whom I treasure. The Girl Scout song is right, one is silver and the other gold.
I've been in the dumps these last few weeks. Nothing specific, just weepy at inappropriate times. I had chemo on Tuesday. The orc wars belonged to last year's chemo--this year's isn't bad, it's just there. This was new chemo number nine and there is no end in sight. I suppose I should just suck it up and get on with things. Like Monty Python's Fred, I'm not dead yet. I'm not sure I feel like doing a Highland Fling, but there we are.
Anyway, here's to my BFF's. Thank you for being out there where I can touch you electronically. Thank you for the years of memories. Thank you for Mabel and her flawed diamond. Thank you for being unique. Friends are the slubs in the fabric of your life. I love you all, all the time.
xxooxx

No comments: