Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Sixth Day of Christmas

Whew!  How did we get here already?  It has been a busy week.  Tuesday the 22nd was therapist day.  I made chocolate chip cookies for Glenn, but don't remember what else I did--probably work on the puzzle and think about all the things I had to do.  Wecnesday started with brunch with a dear friend, then a visit with the Radiation Oncologist, who is concerned that I am still having pain that breaks through the morphine I'm taking--I'll see him again next month after my CT scan.  That visit was followed by a trip to the mall for last minute Christmas shopping then to the grocery store for Christmas dinner fixings.  An added plus for that task was running into a friend from the phone company.
Now we're to Christmas Eve, and things really get busy.  I had to make sure I didn't work myself to death, so I would work on the puzzle till I found a piece, then do a task.  The tasks accomplished included putting out three nativity sets, making three different kinds of cookies, cubing a loaf and a half of french bread and seasoning it for stuffing, chopping the onions for the stuffing, fixing dinner for Glenn, taking a nap, then attending Christmas Eve 11 o'clock service where I was one of the readers.  I had it easier than Glenn, because he had to be at work at seven on Christmas morning.  I got up, did the same routine with the puzzle to enforce rest.  I made two kinds of cranberry sauce, finished the stuffing, stuffed the 20 pound turkey and got it into the oven by noon.  Mark and Elaine and the kids got to the house around 2.  Here's a picture of the tree before presents were opened:


The grandchildren and Mark were enthusiastic about the puzzle, each one lending their efforts to find pieces.  The girls had to go with their other grandmother to their cousin's house for dinner, but I kept them at the house till after Glenn got home so we could all be together for a few minutes.  Monica gave me an album with pictures from out trip and a key-chain with a digital picture viewer, preloaded with trip pictures.
I was sad the girls couldn't be with us for dinner, but we had a good time.  I made a splendid dinner--turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauces, carrots and parsnips, red and gold potatos, green salad and waldorf salad.  I never think about dessert--no one needed it.  A good time was had by all.  Glenn and Elaine took care of the clean-up while Mark and Ryan worked on the puzzle.
Saturday, I could barely move.  I slept a lot.  The only thing I HAD to do was make tomato soup for Sunday lunch.  Sunday was another good day.  I had to be alert for church, because I am Worship Leader this month and we had a guest Pastor.  Right after church, I called my BFF Roz, who was even then on the BART with our BFF Tobie heading to San Bruno.  I got their location and figured out how much longer I could graze on cookies at church.  I got to the BART station just before their train came in.  Tobie is another friend from jonior high, so another person I've known for 50 years.  The last time I saw her was at the hospital a few weeks before my mother died in 1992.  A good many hugs were shared.  Roz and Tobie came to my house for lunch and memories.  Somehow, I didn't get pictures this time.  That was my error.  Kris is hoping to come north again in April.  We'll get Tobie to that reunion and I'll be sure to get pictures then.  I took them back to the BART station somewhat after 3.  I came home for serious puzzle working.  I placed the last peice about 10:45.  Here is the completed puzzle:
It was hard to the very last piece.  I started it before Thanksgiving.  I left it up for a while.
Monday Glenn and I (mostly Glenn) had to get the house ready for my sister--well, sort of ready.  I'd made plans with Elaine for her to come over to make more cookies, and to my surprise, she, Mark, and Ryan got here before noon.  I was barely up.  Elaine was a real helper cleaning Glenn's room for my sister and cleaning the bathroom.  It was a little chaotic, but it was good chaos.  Somewhere in the afternoon I managed to make cookie dough and get it into the refrigerator.  Elaine and Mark went off to see if they could steal the girls from the other grandmother and also bring Mark's daughter, Rachel, up for dinner with my sister.  There were unsuscessful on each mission, but later in the afternoon, the OG called to ask if we would like her to drop the girls off when she picked them up after the movie.  That was a big YES.  By then, the puzzle was back in the box and going home with my daughter so that they could have the joy of putting it together.
Gretchen arrived just as it was starting to rain.  We had a dinner of left overs.  The girls arrived just as we were starting dinner.  It was so wonderful to have my family all together for a meal.  Here's the crowd:

It was a wonderful night for me.  Exhausting, but wonderful.
Tuesday was another reunion.  Our Mother had a first cousin, Evelyn, who lines in Marin County.  I've kept in touch with her over the years, but probably hadn't seen her since the early 70's.  Gretchen called her before she came up and we make plans for lunch.  Here we are with our cousin, Evelyn:

We had a delightful lunch in Larkspur then browsed the shops.  As with all the reunions I've had this year, it was as though no time had passed since the last time we were together.  Evelyn is one cool LOL--that would be in the pre-e-mail usage of the letters.  Her mind is sharp and she is funny, and I'm happy to be related to her.  Gretchen and I came home in the late afternoon.  We had another dinner of left overs and watched the Kennedy Center Honors, one of my favorite programs of the year.  I got to bed was too late.
Gretchen was up and dressed before I woke up.  We had breakfast and got her on her way.  I went back to sleep and slept until Glenn got home around 12:30.  I spent most of the afternoon nodding off.  Like Saturday, I never got out of my jammies.  I'm looking forward to a restful next few days with NOTHING to do.
xxooxx

No comments: