Sunday, March 8, 2009

Making Plans

Planning trips--my all time favorite thing to do. I'm taking my granddaughter, Monica, to the Canadian Rockies this July. We've been planning this trip for two years. We had reservations set for August 2007--got Monica a passport and everything. Then Lee's cardiologist said it would be a bad time for me to be out of the country, so I canceled that trip. As it happened, he was right. Lee died before we would have come home. Monica understood when we canceled that trip. Last year, I took her little sister to Hawaii for her 13th birthday, in January. I had reservations to take Monica to Canada in July. Well, we all know what happened shortly after Rebecca and I got back from Hawaii. We canceled last year's trip too--and Monica understood. Now, we have hotel reservations, we have plane reservations, and we have a car reserved. The plane didn't happen quite the way I planned. I had intended for us to fly into Edmonton, rent a car, drive around and leave the car at Calgary. I found that if we flew round trip to and from Calgary, we would save almost a third the cost of the flights. So we're flying to Calgary and driving to Edmonton. It is about a three and a half hour drive. I will get to see new territory, because I've never driven Canada Highway 2. I did make a small boo-boo--I didn't check the hotel reservations I'd made till AFTER I booked the flights. Oops--the hotel reservations started the day before I had us flying up. I cut out one of the most expensive days in the middle of the trip. No harm, no foul. Monica will still have a great time and so will I.
I also made my April reservations for Sonoma. I'm taking my friend Luanne, as a congrats for the surgery she had last month and for all the years of wonderfulness I've gotten from my friendship with her. We might be joined by another friend--Julie, if you're reading this, it will be April 26-30. Think about it.
Other than that, life continues at a steady pace. We had a band practice this afternoon after church. We got some good work in for our ceili next Saturday.
That's it for now. I'm taking a friend to the hospital tomorrow for surgery. Not a problem, except that she has to be there at 5:45 AM--so I'll sign off for now.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So all this trip planning sounds like delicious fun, my love. Especially the Canadian one. It has been a thousand years since for me, but I remember driving Canada to be a wonderful thing.

I can barely credit it, that was almost two generations ago. Uhho . . . Ah! Arghh! Oh no, I’m m-e-l-t-i-n-g . . . .

Now, about this ceili you are practicing for - I looked it up. Are you preparing for a “social event with traditional Irish or Scottish music and dancing?” Sounds delightful! What fun you all must have, watching the kids dance and the singing, the costumes and everything.

Personally, I have a thing for bagpipes and kilts, but I leave the whisky to the Irish and the scotch to the Scotch these days. Makes things a lot more fun for me.

Hope your friend’s surgery went well.

LLLove,

RRR©Z

Anne Carlson said...

It is a lot of fun, but no kids and contumes. It is just Anne and the Bethany Brawlers making music. People are invited to sing and dance. This year we're going to have open mike for clean (it is a church, after all) Irish jokes.
Friend's surgery went very well.