Sunday, April 5, 2009

Catching up--again

So--what have I been up to. Tuesday was a therapist day, so I took BART downtown for my appointment, after which, I walked up to Union Square for a little retail therapy--well, a lot of retail therapy. Macy's can stay in business. I took home outfits to wear on Palm Sunday and Easter and had the rest sent. The rest being all every day wear--way too much for me to try to carry down to the BART station. It must have really worn me out, because I napped in my chair till about 7. Good think I woke up when I did, because it was just about time for the band to come and practice.
I went to Curves on Wednesday, which was the highlight of the day. The evening, however, brought over my friend Roberta, her daughter Laura and Laura's friend Monica for an evening of knitting and movie--the movie being Little Miss Sunshine. I loved it, and I laughed so hard that Roberta wasn't sure I'd make it to the end of the movie. I did. All thumbs up. I had just the teeniest bit of a sore throat, but I ignored it.
Thursday was out walking day. Kathy and I hiked instead. We went to Edgewood County Park. I started training for hiking in Canada. I don't know how far we went, but we hiked for about 2 1/2 hours. We hiked up through the woods--and poison oak--sorry, Kathy, up a pretty steep grade, to a meadow.


It was a little early for Edgewood's wild flowers. There were actually lots of flowers, but they were very tiny. Kathy has a macro lens, so she probably got better pictures than I did. After a week of really pretty weather, it was foggy at my house when we left. As you can see, it was beautiful at the park, but the fog was working its way down the Peninsula. The wind was kicking up. Glenn said it was brutal that night.



We did find a few poppies--I was hoping for a sea of gold. We talked about going back in a month or so, but Kathy picked up poison oak just from the air, so I think it will be a pass. Of course, I am able bodied and I could take myself down there any time and do more training for the Rockies in July. Judging from how still I was after we got back, it might not be a bad idea...







And here we are, watching the grass wave in the wind, looking out over the East Bay. It was a great hike, even with poison oak and stiffness. I didn't ask Kathy if she was stiff too.
We stopped off at the Deli by my oncologist's office to pick up sandwiches, then the bakery to pick up hot cross buns (they have a a very short season, I take advantage of them whenever I can), and took our goodies back to church, where we had an indoor picnic with our director of music. Indoors because it was still cold, foggy, and windy in beautiful uptown San Bruno.
Remember that sore throat that was trying to break through Wednesday night? By Thursday night, there was no denying it--full fledged cold. Snotty nose, sandpapered throat, bit of a cough. I felt very sorry for myself. So Friday and Saturday, I just whined and rested. Went to church today, wearing my new Palm Sunday outfit. This afternoon, about half of the Brawlers met at the Belmont Convalescent Hospital (where our piccolo/flute player works) and put on an hour program for some of the residents. They liked it--we did well. My energy level was much higher than it was for the Ceili last month, so I flew through some of the tunes. One of the gentlemen said "sehr gut" after each number, so i said "danke schoen" back to him.
Now it is time to rest up for the busy week I have ahead of me.
More later
xxooxx

No comments: