Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chemo 4.1 days 2 and 3

Day one did not end well.  I got all dressed up and went to Pacific Star's Installation.  I wanted to go for Marina, who is a first time Worthy Matron.  I was hurting, so I left as soon as it was over--didn't even look at the refreshments.  I took helpful drugs and set the alarm for 7 to be at church, ready to cook, by nine.
I am glad to say that I felt better Saturday morning.  The Dex was doing its job.  My face was bright red but I would survive.  There were lots of helpers in the kitchen.  They all wore name tags reading "Anne's Minion."  We start with cranberry sauce--I like to fill the church with Thanksgiving smells.  After the cranberry sauce comes the stuffing.  Mine is very traditional.  Vegetables and sourdough bread had been chopped the day before, so throwing the stuffing together is really pretty easy--especially with so much help.  I'm getting much better an giving instructions and letting the Minions do the work.  We had five turkeys, all weighing in at a little over 20 lbs.  The timing is so much easier when the birds are the same size.  We had them stuffed, buttered, and wrapped in tons of foil and ready for the ovens at 11:30.  We went home to rest and God did the cooking.  Back to church at 4 and took the birds out of the ovens--well, the Minions did that.  I wasn't allowed to lift anything.  We unstuffed the birds and started sucking up the juices for quarts of gravy.  That was my last official act.  Kathryn, our new pastor, grounded me and it was up to the Minions to finish the job.  The Minions were marvelous.
It is wonderful to see the church full of happy diners.  The side dishes and desserts are all pot luck.  I was tired, but didn't feel too bad--living better with chemistry.  I didn't stay for the Talent Show.  It is always good, but I was wearing out and Big Game was on.  I have my priorities, after all.  I've been following Big Game since the mid sixties.  Anything can happen at Big Game.  I expected us to be slaughtered this year--that S school being nationally ranked and all.  We lead for most of the first half.  The Bears played their hearts out and only lost by a field goal.  I was very proud of them.
I'm uncomfortable today.  I haven't needed as many drugs today as yesterday, but I haven't done as much today as yesterday.  I'm still testing the reactions to this chemo.  So far, so good.  I have Curves tomorrow and a Trustees meeting tomorrow night.  I think I can do that.
Thanks for the prayers.
xxooxx

No comments: