Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Gulch 2009 before I forget

Another Labor Day weekend has come and gone and another trip to Jones Gulch. It is just incredible the emotions that place can bring to the surface. Seeing friends I love but see once a year. Watching children grow up into amazing adults. Walking the same trail to meals and back and making it each time (see last year's post for pictures). I did a lot of resting, fiddling, and weeping. Was this my last Gulch weekend? I hope not, but the possibility of not seeing these dear ones again made seeing them all the sweater.
The Gulch weekend is like Brigadoon, only instead of every 100 years, it comes up once a year. But it is like you just said good by yesterday and pick up on the same conversation. I was offered rides to and from meals, but those stairs are a personal challenge and I wanted to see if I could do them. I did. Usually someone stayed at my snail's pace and walked with me. These are blessed angels.
The fiddling there is different from my band, because we are a real dance band at the Gulch. There were times I thought the dancers were going to whirl right into my music stand. With the Bethany Brawlers, we are performing the tunes--the more the merrier. For dancing, we play one or two tunes over and over again. Sometimes I think I cannot hold up my bow arm another minute, but I do somehow. It is exhausting and exhilarating and I live for it. The Gulch is where I started fiddling, probably 20 years or more ago. I didn't think I could do it, then I got bitten by the bug. Fiddling is a real passion for me.
So now I'm home. Saw my Primary Care Physician yesterday. There doesn't seem to be any allergy that is making my throat, ears, and nose hurt. So now we're on antibiotics, in case it is an infection. Had my hair cut this morning and did a little retail therapy at Macy's. Got a few tops, some pants, a killer gold wool jacket, and a great deal on a London Fog raincoat--thinking ahead.
I just finished reading My Sister's Keeper--like I needed something external to bring on the tears. Good book. Now I'm reading Comfort Food, bu Kate Jacobs.
So that's it--you're up to date,
xxooxx

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

Jones Gulch sounds like such a blast! I'm betting you'll get there for a few more years yet :-) I liked "Comfort Food" - not as much as Friday Night Knitting, but it was good -