Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Best Continued

Andrea flew home Tuesday, but Kris and Roz and I had another day. Kris picked me up at 9:30 and we went off to my radiation appointment. I was the navigator and I got us there, no problem. Kris takes directions well. After I got zapped, we filled her rental with gas and picked Roz up at the San Bruno BART station. We came up to my house to regroup, then we were off to Golden Gate Park. The drive in took a certain amount of flexibility, since the Great Highway was closed and we missed a turn or two. No problem, after a somewhat circuitous route we got to the parking lot for the Hall of Sciences. I took a picture of the new deYoung Museum, which we didn't visit this trip, but I have a picture of it anyway.
We did visit the Steinhart Aquarium and the Hall of Sciences. We failed to pick up a map on our way in, we sort of bumbled our way around. It didn't matter. We would have had fun in Walmart. We looked at the Swamp and saw the Albino Alligator, which Roz christened White Guy. The name stuck for us. Childhood memories were preserved by the fencing around the exhibit--a row of seahorses that they preserved from the old aquarium. We visited fishes in no particular order but enjoyed the pretty colors. We saw a little of the penguin feeding. We looked at the Rain Forest exhibit, but decided not to view it close up, as it entailed a three story walk up a ramp and neither Roz or I felt up to that. We took a couple of breaks for some rather indifferent food--we didn't find the better restaurant till we were about ready to leave. We did not die of starvation. There was a Mandrake grove that tickled Roz.
I took a picture of the two of them looking at the trees and the fishes then I had them turn around and look at me.
It wasn't the most scientifically laid out visit, but we had fun. We looked at the pendulum that we all remembered from childhood visits. We looked at the African Animal exhibit--most of what we saw we sort of stumbled upon by accident. We got maps on the way out. Next time we will go to the deYoung. It was far more important to be together and talking than where we were. The backdrop was a happy addition but not the purpose of the day.
We had to get Roz to a BART station by 5ish and Kris had an 8:00 PM flight out of San Jose. We hugged one another and we had group hugs and we told one another that we loved each other. Willie Shakespeare was right, parting was sweet sorrow. As with so many other things for me this year, it did not feel like good bye. It felt like something we need to repeat. All of our lives have been so very different than what we planned when we were 12, yet what has remained constant is our love for each other. Beneath the years are the same little girls who thought they were so very sophisticated--actually, we were pretty sophisticated. We had fun together then and we can have fun together now. Now it is sweeter for the various life lessons we've all had. If I didn't tell you often enough, I love you, my friends. I can not imagine two more perfect days.
Glenn took me to radiation today. Now I need to rest up from a week of excitement.
xxooxx

1 comment:

RRROZ said...

TICKET

The price of admission
To account for a half century
Only a small rectangular
Densely printed card for admittance to
An entrancing edifice of glass and metal panels
An ecologically conceived center of
Earth sciences
Surrounding a clear three-story rain forest globe
Multitudinous aquariums
An albino crocodile
Penguins
Fish
Snakes
And dizzying spaces of starry places
All outfitted with snug harbors to
Sit and sip
Nosh and rehash
A century and a half among a trio of
Finally near old
Dear old friends
The last four decades to toss
So many reminiscences
To emboss and
Ecstatically swirl into our hearts
With fragrant lychee tea and brownies
Memories flickering brightly
With the myriad exotic neon fish of the vast aquariums
All twirling down with a formidable clock
Guardian of departing trains and plains
Reluctantly embracing
Just one more time
Not knowing when
We might meet
To repeat
This sweet

Though we are gone one from another
I keep your smiles in my heart

RRR©Z 2009