Monday, October 5, 2009

Good days and less than good days

Saturday, I got to VISIT someone in the hospital! I haven't been a visitor since Lee's last hospitalization. My dear friend Gloriann had knee replacement surgery on Friday. She was doing remarkably well. I spent some time with her, watched her physical therapy. As I said, she was doing remarkably well. I left because she needed her sleep--something in short supply in the hospital--and to watch the Cal-USC game--when it ceased being a good day. Cal got the snot kicked out of them. The only saving grace is that they weren't beaten as badly as they were they week before. They get a rest next Saturday, to lick their wounds, I think, then it is on to UCLA. I've been watching Cal football for over 40 years, so I am used to this sort of thing. Trouble is, they've been good, off and on, and it does get your hopes up.
Sunday, I woke up at 9:17--not bad except church starts at 10. I was only a few minutes late--they were singing the opening hymn. When I got home, I started making the drunk chicken. I wanted some of it to be ready for Glenn to take to work for his dinner. It was work, but by the second round, I pretty much had it down to a science. The house smelled very good. I got to watch both the 49ers and the SF Giants win their games. Of course, once I had two casserole dishes full of chicken, onions, salt port, mushrooms, brandy, wine, and a few seasonings, Elaine called in tears to say that she was just in too much pain to come. Not a problem, said I, I understand. But I also resolved never to shop for dinner until they are actually on prem, as we used to say at the phone company. If the grocery store is open, I can shop for whatever we want. If not, we can order pizza or Chinese. What to do, what to do. Glenn had taken some for his dinner, so I only had nine pieces of chicken to think about. As I said, no problem. I called my friend Dory and we had a delightful dinner. I also sent some with Glenn when he went to visit his friend Ed today and I took a care package to Gloriann and her husband. Gloriann went home yesterday with her new knee!
Today has been a very weepy day. I saw my oncologist this morning. She still can't find a reason for my pain. It may be muscle spasms or it may be admissions. The lymph node shouldn't be causing this level of pain. So, we upped my pain meds, hoping to control what we cannot cure. We talked about how sick I am or am not. She thinks ten years would be a stretch, but I'm not about to check out in the near future, unless I walk in front of a bus, and I'm not planning on that. I should be fine for Yosemite in May and Yellowstone in July with Glenn. Intellectually, I know that I'm doing OK, but emotionally, I'm a wreck. The tears just slide down my face and once the floodgates open, there is no stopping them. Of course it is one way to take care of the fluid retention problem. I got a hug from Dr. Chee, and she patted my hand. She did not say, "Poor thing, poor, poor thing." But then, I wasn't sitting under a palm tree in Akron, Ohio, either (See Harvey--one of my faves).
I went to visit Gloriann in the afternoon, with my care package of drunk chicken. She was up, lounging on the couch. She walked, with her walker, to the bathroom and back, and when I left, got up to see me to the door. She is doing amazingly well. We had a nice visit, sitting and talking, or not, as only old friends can. Gloriann and I worked together at the phone company. I met her in 1971. We have each been through a great deal of life over the years. It is God's own mercy that we never had a crisis at the same time. We've laughed ourselves stupid and cried rivers, broken bread together. We share too many private jokes to count. It takes very little to set us into gales of laughter--or tears. I wouldn't give up a minute of the time we've spent together.
I had drunk chicken for dinner--oh my, it was really good tonight. I don't usually like leftovers, but the chicken spent the night sopping up all those flavors. Not pretty, but really yummy.
There we are. I'm still weepy, but I'll get past it. There is much retained fluid to squeeze out.
I have NOTHING on the schedule tomorrow. No doctor appointment, no blood draw (that's for Wednesday), nothing. Maybe I'll take a walk.
xxooxx

No comments: