Friday, October 2, 2009

And now it is October

I remember last October. Things were good. I'd finished radiation, I was done, done, done. I'd had cancer and it was gone. My hair was coming back. I spent my 30th anniversary at the SMI Spa. I was looking forward to Grand Chapter and Yosemite. This year, I spent my anniversary getting an ultrasound of my legs. Yesterday, I went to the Cancer Center for my simulation--a bunch of CT scans that they use to build your body on the computer so that they can aim your radiation to the exact spot they want it. I asked them to make me a better body while they were at it. I got the results of my endoscopy--one more report where I look wonderful on paper. It is frustrating because the pain is still there. I'm thinking it's the cancer, since I don't seem to have anything else. The only medical procedure I had today was a little blood draw.
The exciting thing that happened today was that I signed all the papers for my reverse mortgage. That will take some of the pressure off. If Lee and I had never refinanced, the house would have been paid off last year--but we did and we enjoyed the benefits. I think there is something about not crying over spilt milk and hindsight being 20/20. The reason things are proverbs is because they are all true. If I were still working, life would be grand, but I'm not, and I can't, so there's no use thinking about that either. I think this was the way to go, at least for me at this time in what I have left of my life.
So, back to things medical. I did a really hard thing too today--I postponed my annual October trip to Yosemite (to mid-May, which should be spectacular). I did it for two reasons. First, so that I can start radiation sooner--most likely on the 19th just after Grand Chapter (that I don't want to give up for anything--I haven't missed a Grand Chapter since 1982). Second, there will be a gathering of my BFF's on the 19th. My good friends from Junior High. Andrea will be in the area from Missouri and Kris will be flying up from SoCal. Roz lives across the bay. I can't think when the four of us were last together--not in this century, probably not since the 60's. Kris last saw Andrea in 1977. I last saw her in 1995 when Lee and I went through Missouri on our last breakneck vacation (5800 miles or so in two weeks--after that, I planned the trips with some down time to rest). Roz probably last saw Andrea at my wedding. Kris and Roz came to see me in the hospital last year. It will be a wonderful reunion. Still, canceling Yosemite was hard. I got the reservation for May with two beds. Maybe I'll auction off the other space. I can go by myself, but it is better with a buddy.
That's it for tonight.
xxooxx

No comments: