Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oops, another week gone by

I know how I let that happen--I was out of town half the week and very busy. So, you just get highlights--or lowlights. Tuesdays, we had a humdinger of a storm. It was our first of the season and it was quite something. We're lucky to pick up an inch of rain on a really rainy day--I think we got close to three inches. I made my way through the storm to see my therapist downtown. I only had to walk from my car to the BART, BART to his office, then repeat the process in reverse after the appointment. Even so, I felt a bit like a tea bag when I got to his office--not even half a block from the station. When I got home, Glenn greeted me with, "You aren't going to be very happy." Water was running through the light fixture in my bedroom onto the middle of the foot of my bed. No, I wasn't happy We quickly stripped the bed down to where it was dry--under the mattress pad--and put large pots in strategic places to catch the drips. I noticed that it stopped dripping in the afternoon. It was still raining, but the wind was no longer blowing a gale. I called Elaine to get Mark over here to look at it. Mark put the roof on in 1992. He wasn't able to make it over that day, but his supposition, and mine, was that it was more of a wind problem than a leak. The roof should have several more good years. He'll take care of it. I'm not worried. It may have been God's little way of getting me to change everything and wash everything on the bed. God has a strange sense of humor.
Wednesday, I threw my stuff together and Dory picked me up around 10:30 for our annual trek down to Grand Chapter. It was in Visalia this year. Many things were very good. We walked out of our hotel and into the convention center. There were no stairs involved in getting in and out of the arena. The seats weren't particularly comfortable. I had to keep my feet elevated, so we found a seat behind a place with two armrests on the seats in front of me and there was room to put keep my feet up most of the time. It wasn't terribly comfortable, but the swelling didn't get any worse and once and a while I can not only see ankles but feel shinbone! It was wonderful, as always to see friends I only see once a year. Everyone told me I looked great. I thanked them. I'm used to my pain med level now and I don't feel bad--It was exhausting being in grown-up lady clothes for four days. I got home before 5 this afternoon and was in my jammies by 6. The food at Grand Chapter was a different story. The hotel restaurant absolutely was not ready for us. We went to one banquet at the convention center, which was really bad, and one luncheon at one of the hotels off site that was a really good meal--not just a good banquet meal. We had one evening with nothing to do, so we walked through the downtown area and found a delicious dinner.
Grand Chapter itself was interesting. I have been going to every one since 1982, so I've been to a lot of Grand Chapter weeks now. The officers presided beautifully. The legislation was interesting--no, challenging, but handled smoothly and efficiently. I love going to Grand Chapter. I hope to be able to make it to many more.
We thought about coming home by way of Yosemite, but we didn't leave Visalia till after 11. Good judgment prevailed and we came straight home. Dory did all the driving, so i was able to get lots of knitting done. We have a great time together. I am so blessed to have her for a friend.
Tomorrow is a big day--the start of my radiation and a reunion with my BFF's from junior high school. The four of us haven't been together since August 13, 1966! We've all known each other for 50 years! How is this possible when I am only 21? Looking forward with great anticipation.
xxooxx

No comments: