Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Happy Birthday to ME

A little tiny part of me is thinking that if I hadn't had the infection, I'd be having my last chemo tomorrow--at least I think that's how it would have worked out--but then maybe I couldn't have gone to Yosemite or Wynyard, Saskatchewan, and I wouldn't have wanted to miss either of those journeys. So there we are--still with almost 2 weeks to go till the last one. And it is my birthday--all day. I'm feeling better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow. It was mostly a good day, lots of phone calls, flowers, my favorite thing in the whole wide world, from my sister, dinner out with Dory, a lunch date for tomorrow with my friend Meg and her daughter--Meg and I share the birthday, but I always remind her that she's WAY older than I am. My daughter and the grandchildren are coming over tomorrow afternoon. Life is good.
Now let me tell you about cut flowers. You get them, you feel special, they look beautiful, then they die and you can throw them away with a clear conscience and not have to worry about where to put them. My sister sent me yellow and orange roses, which match what I'm wearing today and the Atomic Orange I put on my fingernails today. As I said, life is good.
About dinner--we went for Chinese, since it is my traditional birthday feast. I was told several years ago that noodles on your birthday were good luck, so dinner included chicken chow mien, of which I am very fond. When it came time for the fortune cookies, we did that properly--I handed one to Dory and she handed one to me--you never pick out your own fortune. I unwrapped my cookie, broke it open--and there was no fortune. I looked sad and Dory started to laugh and said that apparently the noodles weren't doing their job. I thought maybe it was folded and looked in each half--no fortune. By then we were both laughing hard--as was the waiter, who took pity on my and brought me a new cookie--with a good fortune. Whew!
I've made it through the first week of this chemo cycle--I've hit as far down as I will go and am now on the upward swing. It will be a little better each day till the middle of next week, when I'll be feeling my best till #6. And am I going away? You betcha. I see my oncologist on the 22nd then leave for Sonoma and five days of pampering. Life is very good.
xxooxx

3 comments:

Victoria said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Bertamom said...

AHHH! Happy Birthday, Anne! Chinese sounds yummy - but no cake? You must be counting the days until Sonoma . . . yesssss. Sound perfect!

Wendy said...

Happy belated birthday Anne!