Saturday, July 5, 2008

Home again, home again

Got home safely, but not without some excitement.
To catch you up, we went to Saskatoon yesterday and saw The Tempest on the banks of the Saskatchewan River. It was a little hard to understand at first, but things improved. Prospero and Ariel were wonderful. It was an outdoor theatre and somehow, I managed to get mosquito bites through my clothes again. Not so many as Yosemite, but enough to itch.
Ken and Margaret got me to the airport in plenty of time and the flight from Saskatoon to Calgary was fine. I was met by my wheelchair driver. We got to the baggage claim for those of us continuing on to the states. Remember the 6 hours and change I had between flights getting to Saskatchewan? Well, I had about an hour in Calgary. So imagine how thrilled we were when there were no bags coming through. There was some sort of jam in the system. My SF flight boarded at 1745 and it was already 1735. My driver said we could wait till 1805 at the latest, then we would have to board the SF flight, bags or no If our bags didn't make it with us, they would be flown to SF tomorrow and delivered to us. While that would have made life somewhat easier when I landed, I really didn't want to have to go without my suitcase full of dirty laundry overnight. Finally the bags started moving. Mine came up and we were off through US Customs, put the bag back on a conveyor belt to get to the plane, through security, and on to the plane. I was one of the last ones on, but I was on. I got settled all snug in my seat and the plane couldn't move. Seems the bridge from the airport to the plane didn't want to move and they had to wait for workers from the airport to fix it. So we were a little late leaving. I was thinking "That's two..." and thinking it wasn't a good sign. We had a little turbulence--nowhere near as bad as coming in--but otherwise the flight was without incident and we made up the time in the air and landed on time. Again I had a wheelchair waiting for me. The gentleman took me to baggage where we waited. And waited. And waited. A bunch of bags came up and were collected then nothing. Seems there was a bag jam in the system. Where have I heard this before. Finally, finally, the belt began moving and mine was the second bag. Glenn was there shortly after I got outside. I had a great time, but I was glad to get home. Pictures will follow tomorrow or whenever I get them downloaded.
Time for bed.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Sounds like a good trip. I finally took the burgundy baby sweater to my former intern and she LOVED the sweater set and raved over the color, which I thought she would. So another convert to the "Anne Carlson Knitting Fan Club."

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne,

Welcome home! My last days in the office will be sometime this week, so now I have copious free time to visit and look at beautiful Canada pictures. Ay?

All my love and welcome home.