Thursday, July 10, 2008

OK--OH Canada part deux




So, the camera still doesn't want to down load my pictures, but I got a handy dandy compact flash reader that more or less does the same thing. Now I'm trying to get them into the blog--in no particular order.












Here are my hosts, Margaret and Ken Melsted, Ken wearing one of his 11 new Tilley Hats, courtesy of Lee. That was the actual purpose of the trip. Ken and Margaret were great hosts. they let me do as much or as little as I wanted to do. Mostly it was just laze around.


This is the farmhouse. Ken was born here.

Next, we move to some grain bins. There are lots of grain bins. It is a huge farm.
















And just to prove there is some livestock, here is Ken with the horse. They also have breeding stock pure bread cattle--the bulls were hiding in the shed behind the horse. How many bulls do you see?


Last, but not least, this is the Provincial Flower of Saskatchewan, the Red or Prarrie Lilly. Margaret has two growing in her garden. With luck. the bulbs will multiply as the lilly is in danger if extinction.

I didn't have my camera out with me in Saskatoon--too bad, it was really pretty around the hotel and park where we saw The Tempest.

Orc report--so far, so good. Not even any drums beating yet. I don't hold out hope of a stay for more than another day, though.

xxooxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am ken Melsteds grand daughter not by birth but because of my grandma remarriing. For those of you who did not get the priviledge of meeting this man. Let me tell you I have never met a more kind spirited man. I Never heard him be hateful mean or disrespectful to anyone. Ken was a loving man i am so proud and happy that he let me call him grandpa. Ken showed my sister and i more love.understanding.and compassion then our real grandfather ever did. Ken passed over one year ago but i think of him often and miss him very much. Love Annie

Anonymous said...

I am Ken's daughter, Patricia Johanna Melsted-Chabot (1954).
My twin brother, Bruce Kenneth, died in 1998 in a plane crash.
Dad had essentially retired from farming, but was forced to step back into it to guide Bruce's young sons in their endeavor to keep the family farm operating.
Dad (Ken) died on Oct.16, 2008, the result of a car crash on Aug.15, 2008.
The farm was started in 1910 by Johannes Melsted, then willed to his son, Leo Melsted; then to Leo's only child, Kenneth; on to Bruce; and now to Bruce's sons, Ryan and Graham.
As of this date, June/2010, the boys have done well. But we are experienceing record rain falls. Flooding, actually.
But some how, I know they'll make it; just as their ancestors have.
I can be reached at "pchabot@sasktel.net"
Would love to hear from other "Melsted's".