Thursday, February 19, 2009

Techie me!

I fixed my Outlook problem--by myself--didn't have to call in any geek friends. I'm so excited. Of course, I could have followed the directions and done it almost a week ago, but there you are. I'm still excited about fixing my own problem.
So what's been happening. Sunday, PG&E worked on the downed wires till almost midnight. I had power until about 9:30 when I was ready to go to sleep. Only problem, I couldn't use my CPAP. Slept anyway and woke up when the power came back on a little after 11:30. There were still wires handing loose in the yard, but no broken live wires. Today I noticed a new wire that was coiled up on the walkway. Hmm. I suppose the PG&E guys will deal with that. If they don't, I'll call them when I get back from Sonoma.
We checked out the backyard on Monday. The wires melted some of the brick work and flatstone on the path. It's pretty scary. Scarier still when we realized that if we hadn't had some grounding work done last year, our house could have been toast.
Tuesday was a therapist day, always an upper, but I had to rush home to get to the dentist office as close to 12:30 as possible to get the new temporary. That took about an hour and I was exhausted when they finished. It is hard to keep your mouth open that long. When I got home, there was a disability check along with the medical certification to extend my disability. I think I only have a few weeks left in the fund, but I'll take them. Called my doctor's office to make a quasi appointment to come in and have him fill out the form. Wednesday is his day off, so Thursday, that would be today, worked.
Wednesday I got a letter from the same office that took two or three readings to fully grip. My doctor has cancer, and it is advanced. He was advising his patients that he would keep the office open as long as he could, but letting us know we need to have a plan B. I don't know quite what I will do just yet. I love my doctor. He is a really special man. It is important for me to have a primary care who knows what's going on and some of the history. So,, I guess I'll start asking for recommendations. And praying. When I got to the office building today, I caught my doctor having his lunch in the deli. I told him my purpose in coming--yet another form for him to fill out, and said I didn't know whether to give him a big hug or welcome him to the club no one wants to belong to. In the end, I did both. I asked him where the cancer was, but he didn't want to talk about that, but said it wasn't what I have. Sure, mine started in places where he doesn't even have places. We did agree that it's a bitch and life throws you curves when you least expect them. He filled out most of the form there in the deli and sent me up to the office to get the proper coding and let them make a copy for my huge file. The girls and I talked--I really like his staff. They said he's being very stoical about the whole thing. I saw tears in his eyes, but I've been there--still am. I told them, and will tell him at my appointment next month, that if he needs someone to talk to, I'm available. I'm pretty stoical too, but every now and then, you really want to smash something with a two by four.
That's it. I see my oncologist tomorrow and will ask her for recommendations. Saturday afternoon, I have an Eastern Star practice, and Sunday I'm off to Sonoma. I'll take my laptop and try to squeeze in a little blogging between treatments.
Weather note--we've had really good rain since I went to Santa Barbara. It was dry today and probably tomorrow--and quite pleasant. The next big storm is due in Saturday night, so my time in Sonoma will once again be drippy. I guess the loggia will have to wait till summer.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, again, I follow your ultra tame life, panting pitifully. Can’t even read about it without having an asthma attack. So sad you haven’t a thing to do!

My dear, what on earth inspired you to have grounding work done on the house last year? Such a bonne chance! I am in shivers about the melted brick and flatstone.

How sad about your doctor. How much sadder for you. I wish I could take some of that on for you, dearest. But I know you will find someone to fill that post who will be perfect. You may have to try more than one, but you will succeed.

Happy Eastern Star and happier Sonoma! Have an extra mud splash for me.

LLLove,

RRR©Z

Anonymous said...

PS If I have any Outlook problems I am coming to you. Techie problems paralyze me.