Saturday, May 16, 2009

Adventures at the Lab

I got down to the lab today 48 hours after the CAT scan, as requested, for my post CAT scan blood draw. I got there for the last 15 minutes or so of what was, I was told, a 45 minute performance by Isabelle, aged 7, who did not want her blood taken. She was having a screaming fit when I got there, accompanied by Dad, who was near his wit's end. At one point, she actually kicked the blood sucker a sweet, tiny little thing. Dad was cajoling, pleading, yelling, holding her down. I wanted to go in there so bad and tell her, "Yes, kid, it will hurt, but only for a minute, and less than carrying on like this forever. And it's probably not the last one you will ever have, and probably not the last thing in your life that will hurt. Suck it up and let this nice lady do her job. Then we will all be happy." I also wanted to slap her.
I got a pink band over my blood stopping cotton, to go with my pink outfit, and because I'd been a good girl. I also wanted to tell the little snot that today was the third time this week my veins had been opened for someone and I have another one to go Wednesday or Thursday. So there.
Had a lovely lunch with Steve, my former boss. I am very proud of his. He gets his 3rd degree the end of the month. I gave him one of Lee's pins with the admonition that he couldn't wear it till after the degree.
Open mic tonight. I'll be doing "The Cremation of Sam McGee" if they need me.
xxooxx

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

Oh my. I've been that Dad -- ok, not a man, but you know what I mean! Call the biggest tech you got, hold her down, and get it DONE. After 45 min., no one is going home happy. At least you were a good girl! And "Sam Magee" was so much fun - thanks!