Friday, May 15, 2009

Little things

It has been a medical week. Monday was my GYN--I brought him up to speed and promised to have my oncologist's office keep him in the loop. He is such a nice man. When my mother died, he called me, just to see how I was doing and if there was anything he could do to help. He only sees me once a year (unless I have a little surprise cancer surgery), but he remembers me. I also called my oncologist's office and brought them up to date on the status of my rash and the accompanying blister. The PA's advice was to finish the antibiotic, then let the dermatologist's office know my status. I could do that. The blister on the top of my foot was getting bigger.
Tuesday was my wonderful therapist. My little island of time when it is ok to whine. I treasure my appointments with Mark.
Wednesday, for some reason, I had no appointments. No blood work. Nothing medical where I had to be someplace. The dermatologist's office called just as I was getting ready to call them to let me know the results of the culture--no bacteria growing. That was a good thing. Scratch the follow-up appointment on the 20th and come in sooner. Could I come in Friday at 10? No, I'd be in Chemo--1? That would be pushing it. 3? Perfect. Knitting circle in the evening, then a work party for Eastern Star where we brainstormed the skit I'd agreed to write but was suffering writer's block. We came up with something that I agreed to type Thursday afternoon, between CAT scan and the meeting.
So Thursday, I set the alarm for 5:30 so I could have some breakfast (can't eat for 3 hours before the CAT scan appointment--mine was at 9). I've thoroughly described the CAT scan process in an earlier blog. It did take them three tries to start the IV--that was fun. I was really tired when I got home and dozed through most of my soap opera. The meeting went fine last night--the skit came off somehow.
So, here we are at today, Friday. Chemo appoint was supposed to be at 11 and I told Glenn that I'd take myself, which he grudgingly agreed to--then the Cancer Center called me yesterday afternoon to let me know that they had a 9 AM opening and did I want it--of course. I called Glenn at work and he was relieved to find out that he could take me. I really could take myself, but it makes him happy and secretly makes me happy too. Chemo from 9 to noon, home in time to see my soap opera. Took off at 2 to do grocery shopping, then see the dermatologist. She thinks it may be an auto-immune disease. The only way to really be sure would be to biopsy the blister, but since it is on my foot, it would never heal and I would end up with an ulcer instead of a blister--so we're not going to do that. She lanced the blister and had it dressed. I got a new ointment to use on all the red places twice a day. Watch for any other blisters and let her know, otherwise, come back in a month and we'll check things out.
I'm pooped.
xxooxx

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

Whew! You have good reason to be pooped! Auto immune, huh? Well that's no fun. But tonight should be fun -- see you there!