Friday, May 1, 2009

Blustry May Day

I know I have much catching up to do--I don't really remember the end of last week, so it must have been boring. Saturday noon was our gig at my Eastern Star chapter. It was just half the band, but we did a good job. Our next gig will be the 3rd Saturday at church, so we have a while. The other band liked me, but they do mostly vocals and need someone who can transpose on sight, and that's just not me. No problem.
Sunday was church, part of the worship committee, then on to Sonoma. I got home a little after noon, ate my sandwich, changed my clothes, let Glenn pack the car, and off I went. I picked up Luanne in San Rafael, truly on the way, and we were ready. Julie was already in Sonoma, checking out the town (something I've never done). We were to call her when we got into town and she would meet us at the hotel. Our room was ready when we got there--something that hasn't happened the last few times I've been there, so we checked it out, had our stuff dumped, and grabbed our suits for the Bathing Ritual. Normally, I book a treatment or two when I first get there, but I didn't think that was the right thing to do to my friends. The bathing ritual was fine. I got to explain it to them and we did the whole thing--except for the cool showers. I just stick a limb into the cold water and say that's enough.
It was lovely to go back to the Big 3 for meals. Sante is very elegant, but a little too pretentious for me. I'm happy with plain food.
Monday the fun began. Luanne brought her breakfast and ate in the room. Julie and I went to the Big 3. This gave Luanne her quiet time, so it worked. I had an 8 AM Fitness Training session--Julie and Luanne worked out on their own. It was so nice to see Karen and work out with her again. She's only at the hotel 2 days a week and then just from 6 to 9. I've been following her career plans for two years now. She's getting closer to her goals and very happy. She's also a great trainer for me. I did the Bathing Ritual after the work out, then was ready for my 10:15 Watsu with Laura. I got an 85 minute Watsu--Laura loves me and Laura's on my list of preferred providers. I picked up a little color in the Watsu pool--not a burn, just a little tan.
I ordered lunch to be ready after my next treatment, then went off for my Chardonnay Olive Oil sugar Scrub with Lani. While I was doing all this, Luanne had Reflexology with Arlene and Julie had the Chardonnay. They went to lunch at Whole Foods. I had a spinach salad by the pool after my scrub. Julie had a Watsu with Laura in the afternoon. She loved it, as I knew she would. I had a Thai Massage with Bill, which was incredible, then Reike with Reflexology with Diane--my own personal CAT scan. Diane knows more about what's going on inside my body than my doctors do. I met the girls back in the room. I was mush. dinner, a little TV, then time to sleep.
We did the same routine Tuesday morning. I noticed a small cut on my ring finger, right hand. More about this later. Luanne to the rescue with a bandaid for my finger and some aloe gel for my tan. Julie and Luanne worked out while I had my morning Watsu with Lani. Julie had a Balancing Reflexology Pedicure with Rudolfo, Luanne had a Watsu with Lani, and I had a Hungarian Moor Mud Kur with Soledad. They did Whole Foods again while I ate by the pool again. At 2, I had a back, neck, and shoulder mini massage with Mary--I won it--Luanne got one too, I just don't remember what time, and Julie went home--not mad--she had a wonderful time, but that was the arrangement before the trip. After my Mini Massage, I had a Tandem Massage with Mary and David. I still think that's illegal in about 47 states and one of the best things they do. When they put the massage oil on my left arm, there was a little annoying stinging, but I didn't have time to check it out then. The Tandem was wonderful. I ended the day with a Sonoma Stone Massage with Sharon. She rightly figured that I was pretty massaged out and just did a light pressure, but it was just enough. Luanne met me in the Bath House lounge as prearranged--good thing, because I'd forgotten my room key in the morning. I checked out the left arm when we got back to the room--a little red, but nothing specific that I could see. I'd noticed on the massage tables that it had hurt to flex my hands--I also noticed more cracks and redness. Oh crap--chemo reactions. Dinner and early to bed again.
Wednesday, I had a yogurt while Luanne had her breakfast, then we went to the Big 3, where she watched me have a continental breakfast--a scone and a croissant that was to die for. There was also a muffin that I couldn't touch. I had a 9 AM Watsu with Soledad. Watsu is the way to start the day. It is almost like a prayer in the morning. Next, Luanne had the Chardonnay with Don and i had a Body Coffee Wrap with Arlene. Luanne and I ordered lunch, then went to the Loggia, where the lit the outdoor heater for us and we lounged, covered with towels for blankets, while we waited for lunch. I had a Rujuvenating Kur with Don at 2--his favorite treatment to give--perfect. I thought my facial was at 4. When I checked my itinerary, I saw it was at 4:30, so I had time to shampoo my hair--necessary after the Rejuvenator--before the facial and back facial both with Andrea--by now my left arm was bright red on the back, where I couldn't see it, but confirmed by Andrea. Luanne hung out and did the Bathing Ritual while I was being Kured and facialed. Dinner and bed.
Same routine for breakfast on Thursday. This time I ate the muffin first and passed up the scone. We were amazed, surprised, and pleased when we got to the Spa and they said that my pedicure and manicure were going to be comped, because I was such a good customer. Yippee! And both were with Rudolfo. Fingers and toes are now You Rockapulco Red, which is a much better spring color than Malaga Wine. I broke the rules and used my cell phone in the dressing room to call my oncologist's office to report on the hands and the rash--told them I'd be home by 4:30, so the doctor didn't have to rush getting back to me. Luanne did the Bathing Ritual one last time and swam, then came and schmoozed while my fingers were getting done. Parts of the manicure were really painful on my hands--Rudolfo was gentle. We waited in the Lounge while my fingers dried. We checked out when the fingers were safe, had a last lunch, and hit the road around 2. The trip home was uneventful, except that it was going home instead of there. Luanne's husband was glad to see her. I hit zero traffic crossing the bridge and getting home. After I unloaded the car, I called the oncologist's office to let them know I was home. My doctor wanted to see me today, since she really couldn't diagnose over the phone. No problem. I took a nap, had some soup, watched TV, then when my skin hurt too much to be in clothes, got into my jammies and went to bed.
This morning, my doctor checked out the rash and the swelling in my hands. She put my on four days of prednisone and suggested cortisone cream for the more painful rash--thinks that it is a reaction to some lotion, potion, or oil that was used early on in the stay--maybe the Chardonnay, though I've had that several times with no reaction. So we shall see. I took the first round and don't think I hurt as much as yesterday--though this morning when I got to the office, everything hurt. She also upped my pain meds, so I shall try to keep on schedule with that.
Tonight I get to watch the Giants again--if they don't get rained out. It is supposed to rain all weekend--which is a good thing, unless you are a baseball team. It's only raining off and on, so maybe they can get the games in. It really is a blustery and dreary day, though--more like February than May.
Time to put some food into my rashy body. I guess I'm happy to be home--sort of. It was a really wonderful time with my friends. I think I made two more Spa addicts!
xxooxx

2 comments:

Bertamom said...

Hope the rash is better. Thinking we need another movie night - perhaps Best in Show? What would you like to see?

Victoria said...

You know, there's a word for people who create addicts: pushers.