Sunday, September 14, 2008

Back from Fresno

It wasn't so bad, as weekends in Fresno go. I didn't have to drive and I spent very little time out of doors in the heat. It took us forever to get there on Friday because there was a big accident and fire on 580--all gone by the time we passed it, but it took about two hours to get from my house to the east side of Altamont Pass. After that, it was pretty much smooth sailing. Not really a problem, except that we had a 7 PM dinner. Even that wasn't so bad, because seats were saved for us. I had to moisturize (one of the treats that comes with radiation) and change after I checked in, but thanks to a few years in little theatre during my college years, I'm a quick change artist and really didn't miss much. It was a buffet and our table was among the last to get in line, so we could have been lots later and it wouldn't have mattered. I did get tired of sitting and my hips hurt.
Saturday morning, I had an early breakfast, because the Cal Bears (my beloved Cal Bears) were on ESPN with a nine o'clock game against Maryland. They didn't really get cracking until the second half--if the game had been five or ten minutes longer, they might have pulled it out. As it was, they lost, but not as badly as it looked like they were going to lose. After the game, I went trotting off to try on my dress for Grand Chapter. It is too long, so I didn't get to bring it home. At least it is pretty, which my last two Deputy Grand Chapter dresses weren't. After the dress fitting, I debated on lunch or a nap. I really wanted to have a late lunch/early dinner, because the reception (the whole reason for going to Fresno) started at 7:30 but we had to be there by six for pictures. My hips were still hurting pretty bad, so the nap won. I set my alarm for 3 then lounged till about 3:30 and went off in search of food. To my displeasure, I discovered that the coffee shop closed from 2 to 5. Ah, but there was room service! Back to the room, checked the menu for something I could eat, called and placed my order. The girl who took it said it would take about half an hour. That gave me time for a bath. All clean and dressed, I waited for lunch with my book. At about 4:40, when I still had no lunch and was feeling like a refugee, I called to see how much longer it would be. Let me check, says the girl, and clicks off. Presently, my phone rang and it was actual room service, who had no record of my order. By now, I was starting to steam. The y took my order again--turkey sandwich, no tomatoes, diet coke, and chocolate ice cream. About how long will that take, I asked. When they said another half an hour, I lost it. The room service manager got on the line and said he would comp my meal. Fine, I said, see what you can do. It was looking like dinner wouldn't get to me till around 5:15 at the earliest. I put on my makeup and read more of my book. Eventually, a very nice young man brought my lunch. The turkey sandwich included the tomato that I can't eat while I'm on radiation, but no cranberry sauce that was promised on the room service menu--and I had to put my own mayo on it. It included fries, which were good, but I couldn't open the catchup, so there went my veggie. There was no diet coke and the chocolate ice cream was chocolate cake. But it was free and I was starving. I managed to eat, get into my dress, and cross the street (painfully, the hips were really hurting) in plenty of time for pictures. So there really is a free lunch...
The reception was nice, but long--those hips again. There is just no way to sit comfortably. I saw many friends and wouldn't have missed it for the world. I was really hurting by the time it was over.
The trip home was uneventful and quick--no traffic to speak of. I got home in time to see most of the 49ers game--they won in overtime, as did the Giants, in extra innings. Sure, now that it doesn't matter, the Giants are winning.
So here I am, ready for a blessedly early night. I have to get to the hospital early tomorrow morning to have my port flushed (sounds nasty but it isn't) before radiation. Glenn is going to take me, he says, because the girl from his 5th grade class finishes her radiation tomorrow and he wants to wish her well. He'll come with me Tuesday, too, because that is Radiation Oncologist day, and he likes to be there for the doctor appointments.
I took my camera with me this weekend, but it never left my room, so you will just have to use your imagination for beautiful downtown Fresno.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi! Whose reception was that? Sorry I did not know you were in town! :) w.

Wendy said...

Never mind! I just remembered it was the "BIG" WGM/WGP Reception! Hope you had a good time.

See ya at GC!