Monday, September 1, 2008

Back from The Gulch

Had a good time--managed to keep up most of my fiddle duties, though I took lots of naps. Pictures will follow when I have the energy to upload them. And speaking of energy--I did better than I expected to. I walked to and from all meals--this will mean more when you see the pictures. My hips would be screaming by the time I got within sight of our cabin, and sometimes there were actual tears in my eyes--but I made it. And I must be in better shape than I thought, because my calf muscles are not screaming at me. I took it slow and used my trusty hikey stick...and I generally napped after climbing the gulch after a meal.
Fiddling presented a whole other dimension. My fingers and toes are still tingling, so that's a bizarre sensation. I wasn't always sure I was getting my fingers in the right place. When we practiced, Sunday morning, the first thing I was presented with was a broken A string. I have a spare--in fact I just ordered two more since the A's seem to enjoy breaking more than the others My E string looks like it is about to unwind at any minute. The violin store, of course, recommends changing your strings every six months. I think I'll stick with the "when they break" method, myself. This year we had me on the fiddle, Marcy from Seattle on the accordion,
a wonderful addition, Eric on keyboard or fiddle as he saw fit, and Joe on guitar and/or calling or dancing. I was mostly able to keep up with the correct speeds. I was always thrilled when there was a passage on the E string, because then I could rest my arm against my side. I was clutching the fingerboard so hard I nearly got a blister at the base of my index finger. My fingertips turned black, but that always happens when I play a lot. I know lots of tunes but I'm going to have to expand my list this next year.
I know the Gulch was Lee's thing, and he pretty much had to drag me the first year I went (1978, just before we were married). Now, I wouldn't not go. Especially since we started up the band. I tell people it was part of the marriage contract. He had to become a Cal fan and I had to go to the gulch every Labor Day Weekend. We were missing several long time attenders, but it gave me a bit of pause to realize that I was third in seniority among the family groupings. I guess I have to stop thinking of myself as a "new Kid."
That brings you up to date--I'll have the pictures later.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you were able to make it this year. I very much enjoyed your company and your fiddle playing =) I can't wait till next year to hear all about your wonderful year after the 23rd. Please stay in touch.
Love always,
Aimee

Victoria said...

Yay! Sounds like you had a good trip-- can't wait to see pics...