Friday, January 23, 2009

Happy Birthday to Becca

My dear little grandbaby is 14 years old today. I loved 14. It was perhaps the best year of my k-12 years. I had a gaggle of really good friends--most of whom I still have--I had great teachers, we were 9th graders--huge fishes in the junior high school pond. We were innocent and wise. We laughed a lot. We had our rituals. We picked on Mr. Felker unmercifully--but I'm pretty sure he loved it. I can only wish for my Becca a year such as mine. Life got difficult for many of us after that, but that one year was a diamond--and not Mable's with a flaw in it.
So--today is a perfect January day. It is gray and rainy. It sounds good; things smell good. It is in the low 50's, so it could be cooler, but I'm taking it is and saying "Thank you, God."
What have I been doing. Well, Tuesday, I did what just about everyone else in the free world did--I got up early and watched the inauguration. I left to Bart downtown and see my therapist. Came home and dozed through the parade until it was time to go walking with my friend Kathy. We both marveled at the day--it was still warm enough to go out in the afternoon jacketless--and at the day--the amazing history we'd seen. I came home and slept from about 5 to 8--Glenn had made supper and mine was waiting for me in the fridge. I told him he could have woken me up and he said there was no way. Bless him for so many things.
Wednesday I had to get up at 6 to eat breakfast before my CAT scan. I haven't gotten results yet, but I see Dr. Chee on Tuesday and I expect she will tell me then.
Yesterday I slept in and continued with the clean out the office/craft room project. I also reconnected with a dear friend from the phone company--one of my adopted children. Since I last saw her, she has produced beautiful twin girls that I am looking forward to meeting--and knitting for. I didn't want to get out of my jammies, but being true to my commitments, went to Eastern Star last night.
This brings you up to date. I may have missed some stuff, but it isn't the end of the world if I did.
xxooxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope your grand daughter has at least one Mr. Felker in her life, my darling. And that her 14th year is just half as magical as ours, so she can look back in 6 decades with as much delight as we do.

The American coronation was pretty fabulous, was it not, darling? Not since Camelot, not since Tyre . . . Oh dear, mixing musicals and metaphors . . .

I particularly liked the G. Washington imagery and quote. Good stuff to allude to at this juncture.

And thank heavens Ms. O didn’t wear any black widow outfit this time. Oh my sweet diapers, what WAS she thinking that time in the stadium with that great big red black-widow spider area in the middle of her all black outfit!!! George would have died! And served up a severe critique of her in class the next day a la mode.

Keep up the good work, my sweet.

Luv,
RRR