Friday, January 9, 2009

A Perfect Way to Start a Year

Sunday after church and a meeting that looked like it would never end, I came home, had my PB&J sandwich, packed up the car (with Glenn's help, of course), and set of for the Sonoma Mission Inn. I went by way of the ocean, so there was next to no traffic. I think my car can make it there on autopilot. As I turned left on Boyes Bl, I noticed the windows of the Big Three were covered. Hmmm...not a good sign. Turned left into the hotel property and felt like I was home anyway. Got the car unloaded, registered, was taken to my upgraded room that was a suite--sorry--no pictures this time. This time it was a Wine Country suite--with a name--I was in the Hanzell Suite. Separate living room with fireplace, cozy loveseat and chair with ottoman, lots of windows on three sides of the room--I'm sure it is perfectly lovely when the sun shines--which it didn't most of the time. There was a cozy bedroom and huge bath. I got the car parked then went off to the spa for my only treatment of the day and an abbreviated bathing ritual. They gave me a locker key when I checked in at the Rotunda--I didn't think much of it--just thought they were cutting back on staff for the slow time. Then I opened my locker, and there was a love note from the spa staff, a gift of spa goodies, and a bottle of water. A woman who was changing looked on and said, "You must be really special." I said, "I am." At least that's the way they make me feel. I had Reike with reflexology with Diane--a perfect way to start. We cried over the return of my cancer, though Diane told me that she and sensed a darkness where my new tumor is the last time she saw me.
Since my Big Three was closed for renovation, I ordered room service. While I was waiting for dinner, a new room service menu was brought to my room--considerably downsizing the offerings. I was not pleased. I don't particularly care for the hotel's other restaurant, Sante--foodies love it, but it is really too froo-froo for me. I don't eat things I can't pronounce. No matter, I was in Sonoma, where I am happy, and things would work out.
Monday was a busy day. I started with a Chadonnay Olive Oil sugar Scrub with Laura. I was soft and smooth and smelled wonderful. after that, I had a Tandem Massage with Bill and Laura. I still think there should be a confessional booth right outside the treatment room. If it isn't a deadly sin, it should be. Nothing should feel that good.
I had lunch and watched my soap opera--who perfect was that? I trotted back to the spa for a full bathing ritual, followed by a Signature Facial with Diane--who knew she was a face lady too?--and a Rejuvenating Kur with David. We closed down the Spa for the evening. I reluctantly went to Sante for dinner, though I wasn't terribly hungry. I had celery root soup to die for and Fuji apple fritters for desert. Perfect. Back to the room, lit a fire (in the fireplace so you shouldn't worry) and knit a little before bedtime.
Tuesday morning, I had a Sonoma Stone massage with David--that's another one of those divine treatments that should be on the Index. I had time for lunch and Soap again before the Bathing Ritual and a Body Coffee Wrap with Soledad. Now Soley was not on my original program--horror of horrors--so when a little bird named Laura told me that she was left off, I fixed that. How can you go to Sonoma without Soledad? You just can't, that's all there is to it. The Body Coffee Scrub is actually one of my favorite treatments, but I didn't do it this time because it is really abrasive and I thought it would be too much for my chemo skin, so I settled for the Wrap. It doesn't have quite the knock your-socks-off-it's-time-to-wake-up smell, but it is a lovely treatment-especially with Soledad. after that, I had a virgin experience. I had a Thai Massage--wow--it won't be my last. My provider was Sharon--Bill's other half. It was incredible. I've always been really flexible--unusual for a fat lady--so I got great stretches--and a tee shirt!
Dinner at Sante again--weed salad and a pork tenderloin to die for. Knitting in front of the fire until I fell asleep completed the evening.
Wednesday morning I pushed myself to get out early and wolf down breakfast so I had time for the Bathing Ritual before my first treatment--Spirulina Body Wrap with Soledad. This is not one of the most glamours treatments, but it's one of the best. Your skin feels so soft and yummy when you are done, even though they make you look like the creature from the Black Lagoon during the treatment. I had an hour and a half between the Wrap and my only Watsu, so I stayed in the lounge and knit, sipped hot cider, snacked on dried fruit and almonds, and let my skin absorb all the oil it could. I only allowed myself one Watsu on purpose, because it was really cold. You feel grand when you are under the 98 degree water, but the parts that are out are a little chilly and getting from the pool to the dressing room can be a challenge. I had Glenn for my Watsu. It was a great stretch, it was life affirming, it was consoling, it brought tears more than once just from the sweetness of it. Glenn just held me like a precious child and comforted me-and promised to respect me in the morning. If I only had time for one Glenn treatment, that was it.
When I got brave enough after the Watsu, I wrapped myself in a towel and put my robe over that and dashed (well, a dash for me) to the dressing room to dump the wet towel and suit, then sat bythe fire in the lounge to wait for my Honey Steam Wrap with Arlene--the perfect finale after a Watsu in the winter.
Last treatment completed, I availed myself of the golf cart for a ride back to my room. I more or less watched Judge Judy and knit then more or less (mostly less) watched Dr. Phil and slept. Back to Sante for dinner--weed salad and rack of lamb and a butterscotch tart for desert. Delicious--except for the weeds. I'm hoping that foodies will someday rediscover iceberg lettuce.
Thursday monring was very sad, because it was time to leave. I had the bell staff stow my luggage, wolfed down a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and hit the spa for the stone pedicure and a manicure with Bebe. You always do that last so you don't have to worry about your nails during the treatments--especially the scrubs. It was very slow at the spa all week, so I pretty much had the place to myself--which was appropriate because it IS my spa. Bebe and i was alone in the Salon. My nails were so happy to finally get their turn. They are a real kickass color called A Oui Bit of Red. I'm ready for my next chemo in this color. I sat in the lounge and did sodukos while my fingers dried, and then had lunch, checked out and came home. I got started a little after two and went home via the Geary Bl and the beach, so had no traffic to speak of. I'm now trying to figure out when I can spend a few days there in February. I have one more room upgrade certificate that needs to be used by the 28th of Feb and it seems a shame to waste it.
I got home and smiled at the Christmas tree. I know it is time to come down, but I don't want it to go just yet. I know I will get the same warm feeling just thinking about it as I do looking at it, but I still like looking at it just the same.
xxooxx

1 comment:

Victoria said...

You sneer at us foodies, but every meal you talked about was great. So there. And no, no one's bringing back iceberg lettuce any time soon. But maybe you should bring your own! Hee hee.