Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Season is on

It isn't the first card received or the first carol sung--no, it isn't Christmas Season until I make the first batch of fudge. It is even now sitting in a large bowl, cooling and waiting for the addition of vanilla and Brazil nuts. It's going to be a weird Christmas. I don't think we'll have a tree for the first time in my conscious memory--it's just more than I want to deal with right now. The nativity sets are up, but they have been up since last Christmas.
I had a biopsy of one of my lymph nodes yesterday--guided by a CAT scan. It wasn't bad if you don't mind playing superman for an hour and a half. It started by hooking me up to an IV--everything begins that way--and making sure that all was in order. Then I moved from gurney to CAT scan bed, on my tummy, feet hanging over the edge. I got pillows under my face, chest, and shins,blankets over everything but the middle of my back, and straps to keep me from moving or falling off the 18" table. They took a bunch of scans to know where to start, then I got drugs to relax me and local anesthetics in my back so that they could start the needle on its trip down to the lymph node that was sitting by my aorta. More scans, more and deeper locals, more drugs, and then the process was repeated. Finally, they started taking samples of tissue--about 10 I think. These will be sent off to a special lab to find the best chemo drugs to use on them.
I finally got to bend things like elbows and shoulders and scrunch back on the gurney for the trip back to same-day surgery, where they observed me for two hours. The site was a little sore, and I was a little loopier than usual, other than that, all was well. I got apple juice and graham crackers, then ginger ale, then a box lunch. By then, they were ready to throw me out. The wonderful Roberta Henry picked me up and got me settled at home, where I rested as instructed. I have no ill effects today. The band aid on my back is a little higher than I thought anything bad inside was, but maybe they angled down.
That's the great excitement to date. I'm thinking about polishing silver just for the satisfaction of it this afternoon, then I'll go to a movie night at church.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello sweet anne,
i got your xmas card and wanted to take a look at your blog. i am thinking of you and family. drop me an e.mail if you are feeling up to it. . .
xoxo,
mary sutherland
mesutherland@comcast.net

~KQ~ said...

That RH is an amazing comfort in times of need, isn't she? We are blessed to call her Friend. I am very glad that you have this step behind you, and sorry now that I missed Movie Night (though for good reason!) Eagerly anticipating our first Thursday walk in the new year... think it will warm up by then? ;o)