Sunday, December 7, 2008

Still breathing

What shall I do tomorrow? I have no appointments! And it is the only day of the week--well, actually, I do have an orchestra practice at church, but it isn't till the evening. I was supposed to be getting my port tomorrow--needed to be at the hospital at 5:45 AM. And Glenn loves me enough to have gotten me there even though he works till midnight tonight. The surgeon's office called me to say that my slot had been given to another doctor in the practice. They could do it Friday morning. Kind of pushing it, since I have an appointment with Dr. Chee (the medical oncologist) at 2:45 in the afternoon and she called me Thursday afternoon to say that they were going to biopsy the tumor while I was under and send it off to someplace where they could find the best chemo drugs to use on it. But OK. I left a message for Dr. Chee with the change of schedule. Then they called back and said how about Thursday at 11:30 AM with a different surgeon. No problem. He's the one who did my first hernia repair. He's nice and a good doctor. I have a horror of being called at 6 something tomorrow morning with them asking where I am. No, I think we're set for Thursday. I'm not sure that's going to give the tumor place time to work their magic, but I left another message for Dr. Chee with the new date and time.
I'm ready to roll on this. If I must have chemo again, and it seems I must, get it started to get it over with.
So let me bring you up to date on last week's excitement. I met with the surgeon who was going to put in the port--she did the last one. I let her read my CAT report. She was more optimistic, since it hasn't moved to any organ or my bones. After I saw her, I went upstairs to my plastic surgeon' s office to say hi t the staff. My plastic surgeon read the report too and he was equally optimistic. I went to knitting circle that evening and after I got home, the Youth Club from church stopped by to sing carols and leave a plate of Christmas cookies. I felt special.
Thursday, I went walking with my friend Kathy. It's starting to get nippy out, but the walking is good, and Kathy is a dear friend to talk with. I got an actual nap in the afternoon and had a church meeting in the evening. Friday, I saw the last doctor of the week, Dr. Shen, the gynecological oncologist who did my original surgery. He thinks chemo first is also the way to go, but I'm sure he will be happy to take out what's left of the tumor after drugs and radiation shrink it. Saturday morning, I went to a masonic installation at one of Lee's lodges. The incoming Master is a young man of whom Lee was particularly fond, so I went to support him. I came home to watch Cal win their last regular season game, then Glenn and I went to his (and Lee's other) lodge installation. Same ritual but very different. Today was church, part of the 49ers game (they won too!) and an Eastern Star function. I haven't been in heels and stockings for so long in a while--if you don't count Grand Chapter, and I was partly frozen for that, so maybe it doesn't count.
Anyway, next week comes with new adventures. I expect to get my chemo schedule on Friday. Not exactly cause for rejoicing, but at least then I can plan out a few weeks in advance.
Off to my Nevada Barr book. This one is in Yosemite. I don't know why I'm in such a hurry to finish, because there are only two left in the series.
xxooxx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dearest A-

Am devastated that you are left with so little to do in between medical appointments. However will you bear it!

Sounds like you are being cared for nicely with all your oncologists and BFFs and Glen. I am so glad you are able to get out for a walk with a friend etc. Sounds extremely healthy.

Keep up the good work.

If all else fails, you’ve got backup of the other kind over here.

All my love, darling-
RRR