Friday, December 26, 2008

So Christmas came

As it happens, we had a good Christmas. I spent most of the week waiting for this chemo's version of orc attacks. Sunday was fine--I made it to church. I woke up in the night with the start of strange pains, but took a pill and went back to sleep. I was a little loopier than usual for church, but I was there. Can't remember much of note on Monday, but there was no chemo reaction. I felt good enough on Tuesday for the BART trip downtown to see my therapist. Wednesday I did the grocery shopping for Christmas Dinner early in the morning (well, early for me these days) and made it to our Christmas Eve service--this year, for the first time in almost 20 years at 11 PM. I even managed to be one or the readers, though my voice was sitting on the edge of cracking and I think there was a frog pond that wanted to move to my throat.
Christmas morning, I made waffles for Glenn and me (waffles are another Christmas tradition). It stormed all night, really stormed. The wind was trying its best to exalt the valleys and lay low the mountains. Sometime between sun-up and get up there was a wowzer of a hail storm. Both Glenn and I thought it was going to come through the side of the house. I peeked out the front to see hail stones piled up in the front garden. After breakfast--well, maybe brunch--we just hung out till it was time to start cooking. Glenn invited one of his friends who had no plans for the evening. Mark, Elaine, and three grandchildren (that would be no Rachel) got here an hour after I'd planned to serve, but I good time was had by all even so. The roast was delicious, potatoes (new and Yukon gold in butter and parsley) were perfect, and grandma's salad was its usual hit. Monica and Rebecca have both been practicing their knitting and learned to cast off. Now all they need to know is how to purl and read a pattern. It was a happy time--even if somewhat later than planned.
Glenn had to get up at 0 dark hundred this morning. It is his first day at his new location and his training is from seven to three. He will be working from three to eleven (Amgen's version of swing shift), still with Monday and Tuesday off.
I woke up this morning with what may finally be a reaction to the chemo. I did read that this one is longer acting, hence the four week cycle. So, I shall lie low today, read, knit, enjoy our beautiful Christmas tree, and just enjoy the second day of Christmas.
xxooxx

No comments: