Sunday, May 18, 2008

38 years ago today

I have always been a numbers person and a recognizer of anniversaries. 38 years ago today I took the bus from Berkeley to San Francisco and made my way to 633 Folsom Street, for my very first day at Pacific Telephone. It was a desperation job--they hired me, I wanted to get my own apartment and start my life. I never expected to work for the telephone company, I never expected to work in an office, and I certainly never expected to be there 32 years and 26 days. It had a profound effect on who I am today. I made life long (at least I hope so, since some of us aren't dead yet) friends. I became a more tolerant person. I had fun and I had heartaches. I made the transition from paper records to computers. I found things I was good at. I remember tubs and tubmates, APO's, CDRP's, RRG's, ARF's, IRF's, K304's, and endless filing. I found joy in strange places-and I wouldn't go back there for a million dollars a day.
28 years ago today, to celebrate my 10th anniversary with TPC (The Phone Company for those of you who never saw The President's Analyst), Mount St. Helens erupted. It was perhaps a little too festive for the occasion, but there you are.
The fog didn't actually make it to our house today, but I can see it and it did cool us down somewhat. The Giants game hasn't started yet, so there is still hope for today.
xxooxx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anne, Good to keep track o you via blog. Can't wait to see the blonde and red-headed versions.

Victoria said...

Well, the fog did not make it to Ohlone and the run. It was way too hot. However, I particularly liked the image of you fanning yourself with the cranial prosthesis at tea. That was funny. I also think you should be as over the top as you want-- come to Berkeley and we can go over-the-top hat shopping if you want, too...

Anonymous said...

"It was perhaps a little too festive for the occasion, but there you are."
You make me laugh aloud. Thank you.

And this wind... I might say yes to another heat wave if this doesn't calm down soon! One can escape the heat by shopping or seeing a movie, but at my house, wind=madness. Arrrg.