Wednesday, May 21, 2008

If I only have one life to live...

Those of you who are old enough know that the next line is "Let me live it as a blonde." Works for me. I picked up cranial prostheses numbers three and four yesterday. I haven't worn the redhead on the streets yet, but the blonde one is great. Glenn is worried that it will cost loss of brain cells. I say it leads to more exercise as I learn to flip it back. I love it.
So more good news--the wound is now only one cm deep. Wippee! Unfortunately, the opening is closing so I have an appointment Friday for the surgeon to open it up a little bit. I can handle that. It is uncomfortable for a day or so, but it beats having the thing close and get infected again.
I finished the first of the two sweaters for my night nurse's daughters and didn't have enough yarn to complete the second one, so I had to make a trip to the yarn store. Bad idea. Should have called and had her send the three skeins I needed. When I go to the shop, I want everything I see. Good thing I have LOTS of time to knit. Now I'm hustling on sweater #2 so that I can move on to other stuff and try to clear out some of the bags of yarn.
I'm now 2/3 through this chemo cycle. I know I need the next week for healthy cells to grow. Even so, this week I'll be pawing the ground, just waiting to get session #3 over. I still think the best idea would have been to put me in coma till the whole process is over--but then, I wouldn't get to knit. I guess life is always a series of trade offs.
xxooxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say, let's celebrate that nice blond headdress and put you in a plunging V-necked flouncy dress. Then we'll find an appropriate sidewalk vent and see if we can't make a little artistic history.

Quite seriously, why don't you get dolled up one day and get photographed in your various prostheses?

It would make a nice contribution to the diary.

Glad to hear the wound is progressing well and that the knitting grows apace.

A Very Fine Hammer

Scrabbling in drawers
In hidden corners of the floors
To crack a few nuts
You sing for a very fine hammer

Stuck in the rut
Of a dirty clothes glut
You sing for a very fine hamper

Post familial rants
And other traumatic cants
You beg for a spiritual jammer

Brilliant sky days
Blossoming tree maze
Cannot be nailed down
No matter how fine the hammer

Just lean back and inhale
The wish to imprint
Will be enough
These moments
Are yours forever if you wish
No hammers necessary

RRR©Z 2008