Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bewigged

One more step on this cancer journey. I now have the first of two cranial prostheses. It is not the one that matched my hair color--apparently that one is custom made and takes a little longer. Glenn said I look like a teenager. We will see what the rest of the world thinks as I spring myself on them.
At the hair replacement salon, first they shaved of my remaining hair (about 1/4 to 1/3 of my original volume). If I ever had a desire to become a Marine, this would be the time to apply. It was sad watching it go, but better in the long run. I threw away the plastic bag with the fallen hair I'd been collecting--it was one giant hairball. I feel like I'm wearing a hat, but I suppose I will get used to it. I had really good hair, which was a good thing, because I was never really good with it. I somehow missed the part in junior high school when everyone else was learning to fix their hair. I'm still kind of useless with a blow drier and a brush, so it was God's own mercy that my hair had a nice natural wave. With a good cut, I could pretty much just scrunch and fluff while it was drying and I looked about as fine as I was going to look.
So now I have cyberhair (and yes, that is what it is called) with a memory. My scalp still hurts and I'm so ready for this whole adventure to be behind me. Too bad--there's a long way to go. Tomorrow is chemo number two, and that will take what hair is left. After that, I will have a year to a year and a half to learn to love my cranial prosthesis.
xxooxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are brave and strong, and I'll still be praying for you tomorrow my dear. I'm eager to see your new look!
((((warm hugs)))

Bertamom said...

Can't wait to see the new hair! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers today (Wednesday) - and I'll update our tiny little knitting circle - they love you too!